Lifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lolorcaust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1983 Dodge Ram 1500, and I want to lift it. I'm new to all the truck lifting and all that. I'm looking to lift it 3"-6", but I don't want to pay a lot to get it lifted. So, I'm looking for some suggestions on what type of lift I should put on it. A buddy of mine said I could get a 3" block put in the back (he didn't know about the front), and that'd be cheap. I really want to go taller than that though, but I want to stay cheap but not so cheap it'd break things. It is SFA. If you have any opinions, suggestions, etc.. on what to do and or get. I'd greatly appreciate it.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
If your rig is SFA .. All you need are new front springs , rear block kit , and longer shocks for 3" or under . If hire than 3" you will need longer control arms , drop pitman arm , and end links plus the other stuff listed ,

300 bucks tops for the mid grade stuff 3" and under . 4" or higher with all the parts 600 . That is all for a suspension lift .

The joys of having a SFA .... cheap to lift !

Welcome to the forum Cody . Got any pics of the rig ?

OP
OP
lolorcaust

lolorcaust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for helping me. Do you know where I could be new front springs, rear block kit, and longer shocks that'd make it a full lift of 3"? The guy I bought the truck from said it has new shocks on it. If that means anything. I'll post some pictures on the introduction thread.
If your rig is SFA .. All you need are new front springs , rear block kit , and longer shocks for 3" or under . If hire than 3" you will need longer control arms , drop pitman arm , and end links plus the other stuff listed ,

300 bucks tops for the mid grade stuff 3" and under . 4" or higher with all the parts 600 . That is all for a suspension lift .

The joys of having a SFA .... cheap to lift !

Welcome to the forum Cody . Got any pics of the rig ?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
You can go real cheap and get 2500 ram springs . That will give you 3"
Block kits you can get at any auto places .. just make sure to get new longer u bolts .

The problem you will have is finding a place that will have things for that year .
Dont let them fool you . SFA is easy .. 3" just get bigger springs and shocks . At 3" you will not need a drop pitman arm or links . Just springs and shocks for the front .
For the rear just block and u bolt kit .

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome to rf looks like ramhunter has you pointed in the right direction.

Last edited:

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Who the **** is rammer ? My moderators smoke crack Cody

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
LMAO ..

Cody you need anymore info just let me know . Again welcome to the forum

OP
OP
lolorcaust

lolorcaust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I understand what you're saying. I have a four wheeler that has a 2" lift on it (4 axles) and boy if you go ANY higher lift on it you'll definitely have to upgrade the axles and those axles aren't cheep. I've already had 2 rear axles blow out on me, but that's a four wheeler. lol
Welcome to RF bro!! You should be glad you don't have IFS . There is no cheap lift for us.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Gorilla Axles man ... not cheap but well worth it on a lifted quad

OP
OP
lolorcaust

lolorcaust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I know. For now I'm riding smooth on my four wheeler, so I can get some money to do some stuff to my truck. I know a lot about four wheelers.
Gorilla Axles man ... not cheap but well worth it on a lifted quad

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
that is in beautiful shape man!!!

OP
OP
lolorcaust

lolorcaust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I believe I've came to a conclusion to either get a 3" BL or 4". I believe that's the correct name for the type I want. Some people call it a block kit I believe. Where you put some block type things under the leaf springs. Thank you for your help everyone.

kstrayhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360 cid LA V8
Well, I believe I've came to a conclusion to either get a 3" BL or 4". I believe that's the correct name for the type I want. Some people call it a block kit I believe. Where you put some block type things under the leaf springs. Thank you for your help everyone.

From my experience, BL is traditionally an abbreviation for body lift. That is where you insert spacers between the frame of the truck and the body. I'm not quite sure on compatibility since I am working with a 1986 W250, but Performance Accessories offers a 2" body lift for around $150 (part number PER-612), and also a 3" body lift for around $95 (part number PER-613). However, many companies also offer a lift block kit similar to the one you mentioned. From my research, I found that both Skyjacker and Superlift offer a 2.5" kit, Superlift offers a 3.5" kit, and Skyjacker, Rough Country, and Tuff Country each offer a 4" block lift kit. Various companies then offer 5", 6", and 8" lifts, but you mentioned that you are interested in a smaller kit.

These manufacturers offer different types of lift kits and systems for different situations, and therefore they provide different parts. Please remember that this information is from my own research for my own application, so you should make sure that it is compatible to yours. Also, I have been working with the Ram trucks for only 2 days now, so if I am wrong about any of this, somebody please let me know!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a '76 Ramcharger with the 4" Superlift springs (front and rear, replaced factory lift blocks too). Was an amazing setup. At the time it ran me about $600 and it was worth every penny!

I highly advise AGAINST a lift block in the rear (Factory has one already, I got 6" lift pack and got rid of all traces of blocks). Then again, I had a 440, it had pretty wicked bad axle wrap.

I really liked the ride / flex of my superlift springs. I highly recommend them.