Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 1st Gen : 1981 - 1993 > Exterior

Exterior

Almost ready to start buying repair parts

This is a discussion on Almost ready to start buying repair parts within the Exterior forums, part of the 1st Gen : 1981 - 1993 category!
I'm lucky I guess in one way. My truck has never been in a bad wreck. Only a minor off ...

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 02:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1991
Engine: 318
Default Almost ready to start buying repair parts
I'm lucky I guess in one way. My truck has never been in a bad wreck. Only a minor off road deal where the PO hit a tree, and not very hard. Only did minor damage to the right front of the front bumper and a tiny dent in the right front fender. So I will be replacing the fender and possibly the bumper. I may even be able to loop a line round the end of the bumper and pull it straight...at least straight enough. After I get that sorted I am planing to do the prep work myself and do etching primer. Then I'll take it to either Maaco, or One Day Paint and Body. Both here have great reputations for good solid work and are always offering a paint job with base coat clear coat for under 500 dollars with a three year warranty.

Right now my truck looks as if it has been parked in Pripyat Russia, you know that place where the Chernobyl disaster took place? Yeah the paint looks that bad after only 4 years of owning it. When I traded for it the paint looked as if the PO had just taken it into a garage, not even sanded it and shot the cheapest brightest blue paint he could buy for a few dollars on it and was happy with it. I thought it would be more durable but it sure went south quick.

Here's what it looked like when I got it, after I painted the wheels.

And here's a close up of how a truck looks after a nuclear holocoust...

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 81 93
Engine: 5.2
i think you may possibly be disappointing with that $500 paint job. you get what you pay for. my uncle told it would cost me about $1000 in just paint for my 89 if i decided to put get some good paint for it. good paint is not cheap and cheap paint is not good. even if the paint was about $500 it would probably cost another $500 in labour to prep and paint it.

81 dodge d150 custom long box 318 670CFM Holley Street Avenger Carb
89 RamCharger 4x4 318/727/3.21 on 33's
93 ramcharger 318 FI 2wd
crazzywolfie is offline   Reply With Quote