Loud, Windy Cab (at high speeds)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

louiscon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
I am totally baffled by this problem. When going at high speeds, the cab is extremely loud. It sounds like the window is down even when both are up. Nobody seems to be able to find where the wind/noise is coming from. Its a 1990 single cab.

I had a body shop guy drive with me, sadly it died on the highway (pickup coil busted), so we didn't get to do a full test but he thought it might rotted gaskets... or that the doors needed to be taken in. I don't know what he was talking about, but any Ideas?

It seems to be coming from between the doors and the dashboard (or that general area on both sides) but its really hard to tell.

DOAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
1990 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< i think this may be your whole problem
the gaskets is your air leak do your feet get wet when it rains

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I rode the other day in a '92 Cummins that was quite and solid as my '11.

I would also check to see if there is a plastic / rubber plug missing from the firewall. My '76 Ramcharger was horrid out on the open road. Found a 2x4" oval hole in the firewall. HUH! Couldn't even find the proper plug for it, but covering both sides with 200 MPH tape did wonders for the noise.

OP
OP
L

louiscon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
My feet don't get wet when it rains (although after it rains, and I open the door, usually a bit of water comes out).

I can check the firewall. There is a hole by the gas pedal which i put wires for the radio and subwoofer, but its not to big, and its half covered by the carpet. I'll try to tape it up to see if that helps, but it sounds like its coming more from the corners... of the windshield, dashboard, and door/side. Even though that's where it sortof sounds like its coming from, putting t-shirts there doesn't seem to help, and I can't feel any air there.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man, something like this is really hard to diagnose over the internet! I do think a body shop is the way to go on this. See if LMC truck makes new door gaskets. Unless yours have miraculously survived the years. Also try checking the rubbers around the windows.

mountaingoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ive got a 89 and weve treated like a toy every since we got it and its prolly the door rubbers and the window seals. The reason i say is cas dodges have always rode like **** the new ones dont haha im a mopar fanatic thats all ive ever owned and its just the truth that gravels and field roads and potholes are hard on em haha it could also be the front window the gaskets shrivel up if they are in the weather stuff was made alot cheaper 22 years ago