What year body parts are exactly interchangeable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertben44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
So I tried using the forum search and came up empty, if this is already covered somewhere I apologize.

I am new to dodge trucks. I bought a 1993 4x4 club cab cummins truck that has a BEAT body on it with the intent of swapping the cummins into my 1992 f250. As soon as I got the truck home though, I realized I couldnt do that, I like the look of the dodge, so now Im planning on restoring the dodge by swapping a new body onto my already solid drivetrain.

My question is this; What year body parts are exactly the same as my 93? My cab, both doors, both fenders, and grille are all destroyed (unsalvageable) I can tell for sure my grille is different, but having trouble beyond that...

I found a 1981 club cab being parted out, and can get a really good deal on the cab, both doors, both fenders, the hood, bumper, everything, but im wondering if these parts are the exact same?

I cant tell exactly what, but when I look at pictures the early 90s look a little better then the early 80s (my opinion).

Will any of the parts be the exact same? The cab is going to be a tough find so IM hoping I can at least use that. Let me know, and thanks in advance.

I know a lot less about these older dodges then fords or chevys because I have never owned one before.

OP
OP
D

desertben44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Here are some pics of the new rig to make this a little more interesting.

2013-04-06174242_zps735ded14.jpg

2013-04-06174225_zps70344f07.jpg

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i am pretty sure it should be the same except i think the cummins rad support might a bit difference than gas rad supports. you may want to measure the cab mount to be sure. also if the cab mounts are solid you may just want to fix the damage to the cab since it does not look too bad from the pictures you posted. could just use a new door and fender.

OP
OP
D

desertben44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
yeah it doesnt look too bad in the pictures, but it has 2 foot long cracks all over it, the door sills are extremely worn, and it has some big dents on the roof haha. I was hoping to keep the same cab before I brought the truck home, but upon further examination, I dont think so

So your thinking the fenders, hood, doors, cab etc are the same? That would work out awesome I hope your right

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i don't think much really change between 72 and 93 other than a few small things and even less changed between 81 and 93. if you use any parts off the 93 with parts from the 81 you may want to keep track of things. i know some of the small thing will get you like if the bottom door hinge on the 81 is sloppy you would have to drill it out to install a bushing were as the hinges used in 93 would come with bushings that you can just replace. i am pretty sure they should be almost identical otherwise but i would take a measuring take to the cab mounts to make sure. otherwise the hole in the firewall look the exact same size and all the wiring and parts should swap right over.

itsadodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slant 6
my under standing is the basic body from 1972ish? threw 1993 was the same, the 70's had no fuel door and the lower part of the front fender was a lil defendant, and the grills and core supports changed a few times

hope this is helpful

DodgeAddict

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
81-85 sheetmetal except for the fenders is different the doors have different diameter strikers

Keep your diesel firewall/cowl & dash you'll want to do your best to keep the noise out

85Dodge360-4BBL

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Dodge Ram D150
Engine
Built 360Hp
If you want the truck to look the like it should....... 1990-1993 Fenders, Doors, cab Grill Grill Shell and head light doors is what you want. I know the doors from 81-93 are physically the same shape. There's different trim packages that all play a factor. Base, Royal, Custom ect. Some trucks had no body trim, some had lower trim only, and some had upper and lower trim. I would find parts that are identical so it looks correct, and you don't have to remember that you need a 1981 part for a 1993. Its just easier that way.

So I tried using the forum search and came up empty, if this is already covered somewhere I apologize.

I am new to dodge trucks. I bought a 1993 4x4 club cab cummins truck that has a BEAT body on it with the intent of swapping the cummins into my 1992 f250. As soon as I got the truck home though, I realized I couldnt do that, I like the look of the dodge, so now Im planning on restoring the dodge by swapping a new body onto my already solid drivetrain.

My question is this; What year body parts are exactly the same as my 93? My cab, both doors, both fenders, and grille are all destroyed (unsalvageable) I can tell for sure my grille is different, but having trouble beyond that...

I found a 1981 club cab being parted out, and can get a really good deal on the cab, both doors, both fenders, the hood, bumper, everything, but im wondering if these parts are the exact same?

I cant tell exactly what, but when I look at pictures the early 90s look a little better then the early 80s (my opinion).

Will any of the parts be the exact same? The cab is going to be a tough find so IM hoping I can at least use that. Let me know, and thanks in advance.

I know a lot less about these older dodges then fords or chevys because I have never owned one before.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334