Wiper arm removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Papa_Bear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 LA
I have an 86 150. The Wiper motor has gone bad, so I'm trying to replace it. However, that's proving to be quite a chore as I can't even get the arms off to get started. The Haynes manual says to "pry the release lever out with a screwdriver and lift Wiper arm off." Problem is, I don't see anything resembling a release lever on my arms. I was hoping some you had a tip or trick I could use to get this taken of

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
there are a couple of styles of levers I have seen. One is on the windshield (rear facing) side of the wiper post cap of the arm. There is the end of this tab protruding upward about an 1/8", just high enough to catch the tip of a wide flat-bladed screwdriver. I believe you twist the driver CW, the tab will pivot out and you can now pop the cap end of the wiper arm off the post. Another style I've seen has the tab on the left side (as viewed from the driver's seat). On that style, you pry it to the left and the locking tab slides out, and then you can pop it off. I believe some older cars have no lock tab at all, and you just pry them off using one screwdriver handle as a fulcrum, and the other to pry it off. Stop at your local parts store, I think they can show you an example of what you should be looking for. If you flirt with them, maybe they'll change them for you. JK about the flirting.

Last edited:

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
this is the tab they are talking about on the older wiper arms. on the newer ones you lift the arm and turn the lock levers which will hold the arm up. now i don't know the best way to get them off without chipping the paint but i have found using a wrench or 2 to pry them up works best.
wiper.jpg

OP
OP
Papa_Bear

Papa_Bear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 LA
Thanks for the replies! After some prying and praying I finally got them off