Best Material For Replacing Interior Carpet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Once spring sets in and it is warm enough outside to comfortably work with no gloves on, I am going to replace my truck's carpet. It's old and red in color - I'm going to replace it with a black or dark grey carpet to give in a modern look. I'm looking for a material that is cheap, and sold by the foot/meter. I was in Home Depot but it seems most their mats and carpets sold by the foot are "too fluffy" and would absorb every drop of liquid that lands on it. I want something similar to what is found in newer vehicles - a more dense material. You guys know of a specific type I should get? I will also be making my own WeatherTech-like floor mats, I will make a thread on how I do it in a few weeks.

tsc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't say I know anything about vehicle interiors. But I would lean towards a marine carpet or something that can handle lots of moisture.

Don't want mold/mildew under there

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well my DIY weather tech floor liner idea didn't work. I'm looking for end to end protection from water and dirt so it doesn't get on my carpet but of course companies don't make specific-fit for our old trucks. Has anyone on here found a solution to covering the entire foot area with some type of rubber?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
sounds like you should just bed liner the floor. that would make it waterproof and it also doubles as sound deadener.

benjamminfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
1991 Power Ram 4x4 4-speed
Engine
I recently did the bed-liner option (after repairing the rusted floors) and it worked well. I then put some generic rubber mats in front of the seat where feet are placed most often so that it's easy to take them out and shake them to clean them.