Guess I'll have 150k miles forever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roadkill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, I have a weird issue going on with my speedo. A little while back, I didn't have a speedo. Started it up and got going and then I realized I was still at 0 mph. Then a few days later I went to drive the truck again and I had my speedo back, but it wasn't counting miles anymore. I should also mention I reset my trip counter before this and the trip counter is on 0 and my miles is still on 150056.

I've read before that the speedo could have stopped working because of a tiny gear inside the gauge or the cable disconnected. But now that it's back, but no more miles are being counted, is that somewhere in the tranny I will have to look or could it be the gauge still?

Thanks!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'd be wondering if something got buggered up in the cluster, but I don't know if the cable is still run to the cluster in 92.

OP
OP
Roadkill

Roadkill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been too worried about what's going on under the hood and figuring out little things like these are a little low on my priority list. I'm not driving the truck around a lot right now so I'm not worried about it not counting miles, but it is an issue I am worrying about nonetheless.

Once I get my distributor problem fixed I'll probably get looking into the gauges. My dad hasn't worked on cars/trucks seriously for at least 15 years and isn't very keen on mopar and he only took a guess that the cable runs to the cluster. Same with my cousin who's a mechanic. He's knows a lot about GM and chevy, but knows next to nothing about mopar stuff and can't give me a definite until things are ripped apart and looked at.

Wish I had a garage of my own to work on my truck because I would probably be getting things done sooner, but oh well, I'll work with what I have.

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same thing happened to the odometer on my old 94. Sometimes if I took it out on the highway and ran it hard for a while, it would start counting again!!! I always figured it was hay or something stuck in the gear mechanism. Then it happened to a car we had too around the same time and age and we ended up switching the whole instrument panel with one of similar mileage from a wrecker.

OP
OP
Roadkill

Roadkill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm trying my best to keep my truck stock and unchanged, so I'm trying to stick with original parts. I've driven my truck a few times on the highway since it stopped counting miles but it didn't start back up again. But perhaps there may be something stuck in the mechanism. The previous owner didn't mention anything with the gauges going wonky (then again, why would he tell me?), but perhaps something's sticking in the cluster. I'll have to keep that in mind.

OP
OP
Roadkill

Roadkill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Holy **** those buggers are expensive. Guess will have to check to see if that's the problem but unfortunately, that's probably the problem. Just don't want to spend 50+ bucks but if it fixes the problem, might be worth the investment. lol

Thanks crazzywolfie and others who've help me with this. Appreciate the help.

AshC

Reaction score
Ram Year
1984 & 2009
Engine
318, 5.7L Hemi
I think this might be common, when I changed out the transmission in my 84 the odometer never worked again (and yeah I'm sure I hooked it up) I was having speedometer issues just prior to that as well. Still haven't fixed that with the odometer but the speedometer works :shocked:

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
an 84 is completely different than a 89 or newer truck. 89 and newer trucks went with and electric speedo. 88 and older trucks have a mechanical cable driven speedo. on your 84 you could just possibly have a broken speedo cable which is only a $10 part.

AshC

Reaction score
Ram Year
1984 & 2009
Engine
318, 5.7L Hemi
Ah gotcha, I've seen a lot of my friends with the same speedometer cable issue. Always wondered if it's just a weak part or the fact that it's 30 years old. :) Mine's been stuck on 125, 300 something for the last 7 years, but also it's been sitting almost that long too.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it happens with time. if they are maintained occasionally with a bit of grease they usually last a pretty long time.