1984 D350 blower issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brakechute

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking for any suggestions...
When the climate control is in any mode except "off" the blower is on high, regardless of the blower switch position. All speeds are high. The resistors and the connector look to be in good shape, and the switch is new. No new ground lines have been added to anything. Anyone have any idea on how to get low speeds back?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
have you tried unplugging the speed control switch? it sounds like someone might have messed with the wiring or the switch is bad or blower motor resister might be bad. someone could have possibly mess with any of that stuff.

OP
OP
B

Brakechute

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have tried to wring out the wiring but have only the vaguest clue on what is supposed to be what. I seem to remember hearing that the resistors are in the ground path of the blower, and that there is some back and forth between the coils and the switch, but I couldn't make any sense of it (I'm a plumber, not an electrician :) )

I know I have a 12v line coming into both the switch and the coils, but don't know if I should.
I discovered that when the coils are unplugged I still get high blower on the high speed switch setting (as I should) but not on the lower speeds which need the coils.
Also found that when the switch is unplugged I have no blower at all.
My multimeter seems to think I have varying resistance at the resistor coil terminals (from one end) but I don't know what it should be.

Any wild guesses are welcomed :) Thanks in advance.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
so when the blower motor resister is unplugged the fan still blows on high? if so i would guess you possibly have a bad switch. the power wire at the switch should be tan in color. you could try making a jumper wire from it to the other wires and see what happens. if fan speed changes then your switch is most likely bad.

dwysywd

Reaction score
Ram Year
1983 D350 CCSB
Engine
360ci
I havent pulled my dash apart yet. What steps am I looking for? I have the switch