coil wire question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randocommando

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have a 1980 W150 with the 5.2 does the ground wire of the coil need to have a special resistor or can i just straight ground it I'm not getting any spark I've replaced pretty much everything when i turn the motor over the coil is getting warm only after a few turns i do have it hooked to the blast resistor i just replaced the coil too any help would be great thanks

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
do not ground the negative side of the coil. the ignition control module does that. there should only be 1 wire on the negative terminal of the coil. did you make sure the ignition module has a good ground?
2.jpg

OP
OP
randocommando

randocommando

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks

i will check the ground on the control box thanks for the info for some reason it looked like it had two wires hooked to the ground hopfully thats it and i can get it going finally

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
there might be a capacitor hooked up to the negative side of the coil but it don't really need to be there for the truck to run. i think it might have been used to try and cut down on electrical noise when using stuff like the radio.

OP
OP
randocommando

randocommando

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cap

ya that is what fell off it had a big ground lug but a really small wire that ran to the middle of it so i thought i needed to ground the coil hope i didn't fry anything

OP
OP
randocommando

randocommando

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
spark

i got spark now thanks for the help now i just need to try and time it i put in a new distrubiter

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
at least replacing the distributor and setting the timing on these things is fairly easy.