Confusing wiring problem...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nwa-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Cummins
Posted once thought I had the issue corrected.... I was wrong.

Review of the problem. Windows and HVAC dont work. If you hit the window button or turn on the hvac nothing works but the center console lights "wait to start" "water in fuel" will light up.

Today I tried a couple tests.... I took out both fuses and tested each one at a time, same scenario. So next test, I found the hot side of the cigarette lighter fuse holder. Hooked it into what should be the non hot side of the of the window block and then hvac trying both. They work! The center console lights dont come on!

So next test, take the hot side of the fuse block for the windows and hvac and using a length of wire brushed a ground and no spark, but the center console lights came on!? I cant even figure out where the hell those lights are even connected to the hvac / windows.

So not sure what is going on, I would assume the power feeding the hvac and windows has a bad ground, and its energizing something else, I dont know I am so lost. Any ideas??

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
sounds like you have a bad fusible link. you want to look a the orange fusible link that connects to the pink wire under the hood. it is the one that feeds HVAC and power windows.

OP
OP
N

Nwa-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Cummins
Not familiar with fusable links. How will I know if its bad?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it is sometime hard to tell. you can stick a pin or needle in the pink wire near the fusible link under the hood and see if there is power there with a multi meter or light tester. the fusible link is most likely blown. it is common for that fusible link to be one of the ones that fail because HVAC and power window pull so much power.

OP
OP
N

Nwa-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Cummins
Will test that tonight, thank you! Any stickies on replacing / repairing those?