few questions for a 1983 D150

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Katze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
okay so first bought this truck about 2 weeks ago with 163,000 miles,almost no problems except that the gas gauge doesnt work and the speedometer makes a whirring noise after 45mph and the needle fluctuates between actual miles and 10 above, then most of the time it starts up within a half second and other times it turns over really slowly. i know what i have to do for the gas gauge but anyone have any suggestions for the speedometer and the weird start?

also heres a video of the truck 1983 D150 Royal SE - YouTube

Last edited:

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
loose connections of cables?

LBC970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
loose connections of cables?

I second that. Check the speed o cable at both ends, make sure it's tight, and seated correctly.

And second on the cables for the weird start. Make sure your battery cables are tight, both ends. Corrosion on the terminals is a sure sign of a loose connection...

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will likely need to disassemble the speedometer and clean it out. Chances of doing this without screwing it up further... VERY SLIM! I had a '76 Ramcharger with a possessed speedometer doing a very similar thing. When I started taking it apart, it was filthy inside, I sprayed some carb cleaner into the mechanism to try and free everything up.
Worked for about a week, then ppddBOING! something broke and never worked again. I ended up with all VDO gauges. (also fixed my gas gauge issue)
As for the hard starting... Does the truck always run good? I'm wondering if you distributor is properly tightened. If the timing gets far enough off from a loose distr, it could be very slow to start. (unless it's cranking slow)?!

OP
OP
Katze

Katze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
yeah, it'll crank slow, but it doesnt do it all the time, and it runs fine once it starts up. It might have something to do with the distributor... he had it sitting between 4-6 years.

LBC970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Slow crank is very likely a weak battery or loose battery cables. 9.5 times out of 10 it's what I see when going to a jump start call.

OP
OP
Katze

Katze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
its not the battery, i thought thats what it was when it first did it, but when i had someone give me a jumpstart it still did it, im thinking its the starter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956