I am having electrical problems with my 85' Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joedirt42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Small Block
Hey everybody, So I purchased a 1985 Dodge ram 250, with a 318 small block, and just yesterday I went to go start it, and the starter didn't engage. My radio and lights all work, but not the starter... I checked the bolts on the postive and ground, and cleaned the terminals, but no luck. What do you guys think is wrong with it? Thank you.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hit the starter with a deadblow while trying to turn it over. If it doesn't engage it is likely to be your starter. Can you hear the bendex spinning?

will2k520

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Check your battery to see if it is good, it could be weak or not grounding fully . Also, check you ignition switch, that could be bad.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like will2k520 suggested your battery could be just weak enough that it won't turn the starter but can keep the lights and acc going.

OP
OP
J

Joedirt42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Small Block
Like will2k520 suggested your battery could be just weak enough that it won't turn the starter but can keep the lights and acc going.

Okay, so. I went under and I stuck a screw driver on the positive and ground and it turned over. So I am now assuming its either the ignition switch, or the horn relay. But it runs and I can drive it, I just have to use a screw driver on the starter cables... Thank you for all your help.

OP
OP
J

Joedirt42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Small Block
Check your battery to see if it is good, it could be weak or not grounding fully . Also, check you ignition switch, that could be bad.

It was the switch. Thank you for the suggestion, otherwise I wouldn't have known to check that first.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you don't have to go under the truck to start the truck. just pop the hood and take the brown wire off the starter relay and touch it to the positive battery terminal. does the same thing as what you did by sliding under the truck but doesn't quite look as silly.

do you know how to use a test light? i would check to see of there is power getting to the orange wire at the starter relay when your trying to start the truck. you may also want to see if there is a good ground connection at the green wire. if the green wire don't have a good ground you could have a bad neutral safety switch or bad connection.

OP
OP
J

Joedirt42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Small Block
The only problem with that is who ever owned this truck before me butchered the wiring. I have to rewire it anyway. But for now I just lean over the fender and do like you said through the hood.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i am good at wiring. getting the ignition switch to make the starter do its thing would be easy as long as none of the parts are broken. i can fix butchered wiring. i even occasionally butcher my own wiring
IMAG1069.jpg

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45