Starting issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k9cop33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2L
Hi,

I'm new here and inherited a 1987 D150. It ran pretty good up until about 10 months ago and I have not been able to get it to run since. I'll start with 10 months ago it would drive at city speeds, whenever I pressed the gas it would bog down and stall, then wouldn't start until it cooled down. Now it will crank over and sometimes start but will only chug with the pedal to the floor. I have replaced all visible fuel hoses, filter, rebuilt the carb (which was clogged like heck), replaced the plugs (not sure if they were the right ones) and wires. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. The distributor looks OK, haven't popped the cap off yet. The carb is getting good spray so I'm fairly certain that it's not a fuel delivery issue. Thanks,

Tim

88rambigblock

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985, 1988, 2001
Engine
1970 coded 440 big block
Is it tbi or carburetor? If tbi it could be the injectors or cpu, mine had the same problem, also could be a crack in the distributor cap. Other than that I really dunno, if distributor is good then it may be too much fuel delivery of the carb, wich also sounds plausible.

pierson5085

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L crate motor
check your timing. you could have a worn chain. that would cause your bog when you stepped on the gas. The slack in the chain would move the engine out of time under power.