1985 w150 acts like it runs out of gas when passing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcp dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1985 dodge 2wd 318 auto carb problems i guess. Just had the carb rebuilt at the shop, I've changed the fuel filter and put new needle in. Also added all types of fuel additive, thinking bad gas maybe. It starts up fine and idles just fine and just putting around it runs great but when you get it out on the highway and try to accelerate really quick it pulls great for about 5 seconds and acts like it is starving for fuel but if you just barley give it gas it will pull just fine until you get to a hill and the you have to kind of feather the throttle to keep it going it didn't do it before i had the carb rebuilt. And i also need a throttle cable for it. The truck came for california so it has a lot of smog stuff on it, don't like that part, BUT it does have A/C. I'm in Central Missouri. Any ideas will be great.

Last edited:

cumminswisher44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive got tons of old dodges. Rebuild them for fun and grew up around them. My dads truck currnetly does what yours is doing. Its called vapor locking. It basically causes the carb to act like the vapors are not getting fuel and not allowing the vapors to be released. All the emissions ******** can be some of it and id eliminate what I could or block it off and .ake it look like its working. And if possible run duals or headers or bigger exhaust.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
It's not a bad idea to see where they set the floats either. If they set them too low, there may not be enough fuel to allow those quick passes. What happens if you punch it from a stop and run it up to 30-35 all out? OK?

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

Ramjunkie17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id start with a good tune up, spark plugs, wires, etc.

85Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Fuel pump is cheap and easy to replace. Double check your float level and replace your fuel filter again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye