1986 B250 Camperwagon Engine Swap 318 > 440

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vantasia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anybody ever seen or heard of anybody stuffing a 440 in a similar van?

I think the extra weight would not be an issue but quite possibly would be some space issues getting it to fit under the engine cover and maybe with the headers. Also the current transmission 727 TF with the 318 would probably get eaten up. Will the 440 bolt straight up to it though?

Also most likely a driveshaft mod would be needed for length I suppose. Would all gas lines and pump need to also be upgraded? Radiator as well would need an upgrade.

This van will also be getting 4x4 put in it in the next 2 years and will spend most of it's time in rough and extremely steep terrain. I am swapping out the 318 with that in mind. Need bunches of low and mid end torque to get this big girl up those big mountains and rough country.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it would be easier and possibly cheaper to go fuel injected than it would be to go big block. to install a big block you would need a big block 727 TF transmission. the internals of a SB and BB transmission are the same but the bell housings are different.

you can get such a power increase from just going fuel injected and fuel injection would be a lot better for rough terrain.

DodgeAddict

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
74-78 these vans came big block I have a pan & the mounts along with some other parts needed to do the swap