1990 Big Block swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Gasser
I'm looking for some help folks.
1990 D150 with a 1968 383.
I've installed a Chrysler electronic ignition system on it, but it won't run.
Fires during cranking, but when I release the key, it dies.
New distributor, coil, ECU, ballast resistor, wires, plugs,ect.....
I have a separate wire running from the starter solenoid up to the ballast resistor and another with 12 volts to the other side (two post ballast resistor).

The truck is throwing a 42 code. Could it not be happy with the factory distributor unplugged? (Automatic shutdown relay circuit open or shorted)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Shambo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 86 with a 383 but I don't have a computer or anything so it works fine. Maybe you can do an old fashion Ignition System.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
that wire from the starter soleniod to ballast resister is not needed. also i could see that wire causing your starter to run when it is not suppose to. as far as ignition power goes use terminal 86 on the asd or fuel pump relay. that should make the ballast resister get ignition power. without the stock sensors talking to the computer it will not give the asd or fuel pump relay a ground which will prevent you from starting.