2bbl-4bbl intake and carb best bang for the buck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue Chaos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 318
I need a new intake and carb, mine are OE and just really warn out. What's the best 4bbl intake and carb combo for the buck and where do you get them??

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i think it would depend on what you want to do with the truck. does your truck have a/c? i am pretty sure dual plain intakes are usually the best way to go especially if the engine is stock. as far as the carb goes it is really up to you but don't over carb it. it would probably be best to stay in the 500cfm ballpark. i would probably try to get the intake used on craigs list or a local facebook group. might be best to possibly buy the carb new unless you are very familiar with them.

OP
OP
B

Blue Chaos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 318
Nope, no A/C. I'm just wanting a new 4bbl intake because I want a little more power and it needs replaced. If I do that then I need a new 4bbl carb. But I'm looking around Craigslist and the 2nd Gen forums for a 488 V10/trans/transfer. I would kill to do that swap!!!!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
a v10 swap might take lot more work and cost more than you would think. i think the transfer case that would come with that combination would be the wrong one to work with the front axle. it would not be impossible but just expensive.

OP
OP
B

Blue Chaos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 318
True, the 2nd Gen front hoghead is on the drivers side and the 1st Gen is on the passenger... Didn't think of that.. Grrr

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
like i said. not impossible. just more expensive. i am pretty sure they did make the parts needed for the swap but they made them for so few years that they are getting a bit harder to find which sometimes means people will ask more than they are worth. maybe someone makes an adapter kit to use a different transfer case with it

Lil red power wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eh-1 LA5.9
I just did a 4bbl & header swap on a stock 318 on my 78 w150. I used a stock 360 intake from a 360 I had laying around and topped it off with a 800cfm thermoquad. Yes it is a big carb for the motor but because of the spread bore, it never bogs and is very streetable. It runs very smooth and holds a great idle at about 900. Plus it has plenty of power when you tap into it. It worked for me and am very pleased... If u come across a thermoquad, I highly recommend it if u get it for the right price.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i picked one up this summer off a 79 360 for free. i was thinking about trying the carb on my 81 but not sure yet.
20150602_111509.jpg

Lil red power wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eh-1 LA5.9
Wow that looks rough. If it were me, take it apart (pay close attention to what all needs to come off) and clean it up. If u ruin any gaskets or anything, quadrajetparts.com has a rebuild kit for $50. Make sure to run a plastic carb spacer or a thick insulating gasket- quadrajetparts has these too, make sure its a thermoquad specific gasket or spacer or it'll leak. The reason u run the thick gasket is so intake manifold heat doesn't warp the plastic body.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i think the picture makes it look worse than it really is. i would consider just blowing it off with some air and running it as is. really what is the worst that can happen? if all else fails it just runs like crap or not at all. it was sitting under the hood of a truck that had started sinking into the ground a bit. there was at least a rag covering the carb. i found a gm carb in the same area and it was seized up but free so i took it along with as much as i could carry. also this carb is a quadrajet. no plastic body.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I dropped an old Edelbrock LD4B dual plane on my 79 360 but a newer dual plane Edelbrock would be nice. Not an airgap for us that drive in the winter.
I also ran a 750cfm GM Q-Jet I found on a 77 Chev truck with a 350 in an auto wrecker.
A set of cheap long tube Hedman headers.
All that alone gave me more power when needed and better fuel economy than the old cast iron intake and exhaust manifolds and 2BBL Holley.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
a cast iron 4 barrel intake should perform just as good as any aftermarket intake since they are dual plane. only difference is the weight but on a truck like these it would not notice the difference.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I'm kind of biased on this, but I think the Thermoquad is the best all around carb. The Quadra jet is a decent carb, too, but there are too many adjustments to make, they are critical and cumulative. So if you're off a little at the beginning, you'll end up a mile off by the end. It's not impossible, just difficult for any but the most experienced. Some aftermarket Thermo's have an integrated choke mechanism. The Thermo's. and probably most Carter'so will have the correct linkage arm for correct accelerator cable/ kick down geometry for Mopar apps, too.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i will try anything that is free. both thermo quad and quadra jets both have bad reps for being a pain in the ass to tune. i currently run a holley on my 81. never had any major issue with it. always starts no matter what temp the engine is at including 250+*F. pretty easy to tune and setup.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
See, I find the Q-jet an unbelievably easy carb to install, tune and rebuild. Also an excellent carb for performance and beating off road.