318 2bbl rough cold idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankie84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This truck has the holley 2bbl, non feedback carb.
After the initial choke on cold idle it runs god awful piggy rich for 10-15min. Burbling, stumbling bogging down etc. if I drive it. Once it warms up it's perfect, has decent power for a 1984 small V8 truck.
Is this a choke issue? Is it not pulling the choke off correctly?
This truck needs to have a full tuneup and it was originally tinkered with while in florida(found a repair order from 1987 concerning the choke) so I'm thinking it might not be tuned right for our colder weather here in Michigan.
Anyone have any tricks for these 80's smog machines? I'm new to the older mopars, grew up on GM platforms.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
sounds like choke adjust. try backing it off a bit or a divorced choke t stat

OP
OP
Frankie84

Frankie84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could you elaborate on this choke tstat? I have a chiton repair manual but these things are so broad

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
how long are you letting the truck run with the choke on before trying to drive? i know my truck has to idle for about 10-15 minutes in the cold with the choke on or else it will stumble and try to stall every time i try taking off. in the summer the wait time is shorter but i would still have to wait about 5 minutes. my truck also has electric fans so it might heat up quicker than yours.

OP
OP
Frankie84

Frankie84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes it needs at least 15min, it's basically a stumbling hog until it's fully warmed up

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
sounds like your just not letting it warm up enough. that is just one of the downfalls of carburated vehicles. you pretty much have to let them warm up.