318 to 440 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony H

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a 1990 w-150 4x4 which HAD a 318 in it until a bosch platinum plus plug decided to fall apart in my cylinder and bust my valves, rings, piston and chunked up the heads and sleeve a bit. Sent the plug and pictures of damage in to see if they'd help me at all. They didn't. So I figured Id drop a 440 in my truck since it'd be badass. I Have a few questions though.
The 440 came out of a motor home. Year is '74. So it has the front sump style pan, which oil pan and motor mounts would I need to get for it to fit in my '90 w-150? I haven't gotten serial numbers from the engine or tranny yet, but tranny is 727a I believe, Would the tranny bolt right to it? Or would I need to put the torque converter on the 440? Any help is appreciated. I have pictures of my 318 and 440 if anyone wants to see pictures. Thanks peoples.

ohiogrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CCSB, 2011 ccsb, 2012 5500, 2016 5500, 2017 ccsb wxpress
Engine
4.7, 4.7, 6.7, 6.7, 5.7
A big block transmission is not going to bolt eight up to a small block trans, totally different bell housings. Someone may have a solution now but big block 4wd transmission used to be a needle in a hay stack and people were VERY proud of the few you could find.

We dropped a 440 in a 2wd that had a 318 and used a trans we had laying around from one our race cars. I believe Schumacher made direct swap mounts that made it a piece of cake.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The motor home trans likely has a companion shaft on the end of it, you could probably use that trans in front of a t-case, finding a t-case for that trans might be a problem.

OP
OP
A

Anthony H

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I'd need to get a big block tranny and swap my tailstock for it to fit right and still be 4x4 since my transfer case appears to be joined to the tailstock. Motor mounts for a power wagon would work? Was going to do headers and port and polish probably as well.

OP
OP
A

Anthony H

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've also heard of bellhousing adapter plates. But those are outrageously expensive. Anything else I would need to make this swap work?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Probably need to change the fuel system as the 90 is TBI and uses a different pump and sender.....BUT, TBI only runs like 6 psi or something like that so it shouldn't make a mess.

Sheerider93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wow this sounds pretty cool. That sucks though about that spark plug ruining your old motor. Nice idea too about taking the 440 out of a motorhome, those guys from Hot Rod magazine on that "Roadkill" show on YouTube did the same thing to drop a big block 440 into a '68 Charger. I think they took it out of a Pace Arrow camper. They pull some pretty funny stuff. New ROADKILL #23: Rat Rod 1968 Charger Buildup/Thrash - Hot Rod Blog

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Anthony,

The tranny should bolt up to the Big block bell housing....BUT since you are 4WD the length becomes critical because you still need to be in the right location to feed power to your transfer case. Not sure if the rear housing bolts up to the tail shaft housing or if the tail shaft housing has to be changed out. Also you will definitely want the guts out of an HD or a muscle care kit. That 440 has good heads and it will put out stump pulling torque.
Good luck and enjoy the journey,

preachp

dodge d250 360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 93 d250 with a 360. What engine can I put bigger in it

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hi Anthony,

The tranny should bolt up to the Big block bell housing....BUT since you are 4WD the length becomes critical because you still need to be in the right location to feed power to your transfer case. Not sure if the rear housing bolts up to the tail shaft housing or if the tail shaft housing has to be changed out. Also you will definitely want the guts out of an HD or a muscle care kit. That 440 has good heads and it will put out stump pulling torque.
Good luck and enjoy the journey,

preachp

I have to way back in my brain for the older mopar stuff but I am almost positive the big block will not bolt to a small block trans.