318 cheap engine mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dracula9500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, I just got a 1982 Dodge D150 with a 318 in it and was wondering what cheap ways I can get more horsepower out of it. As far as I know, it's all stock. The only things that have been changed is that it was lifted 3", the 318 has been rebuilt, but it still looks stock. Also, glass packs have been added to the exhaust and it looks like the exhaust was modified to come out at about where the bed meets the cab. I'm in college and am looking for really cheap ways to modify it. I believe its rated at around 140 horses and I'd like to get it past 200. I have some mechanical experience but not a whole lot.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
really depends on your budget. the only budget mod i can think of is installing a rv/new lifters. otherwise stock setup is pretty good. installing a 4 barrel might result in more HP but will most likely make your fuel mileage drop a good amount.

caseykeenum

Reaction score
Ram Year
1990 D150
Engine
2000 Ram 5.2L/318
Here is another cool article talking about budget 318 builds. This one he wanted to not do any special modifications wants everything to be bolt on. And he gets it right on 400hp.

318 Engine Build - A Parts Book 400HP 318 - Mopar Muscle Magazine

Both articles are really cool, I've read them both before. I will probably head down this road as well with the exception my 318 cam from a 2000 Ram. Ditching the fuel injection (yes I know that kills my fuel milage) for new intake and carb. For now other than that all I plan to change is the stock cam for a mild one. Just a fun little engine for projects.