318 running rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dracula9500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey y'all,

So I have a 1982 Dodge D150 with a stock 318 on it. I replaced the 2BBL intake with a 4BBL Edelbrock performer and then I put a 600 CFM Edelbrock Carb on it. I can tell it is running rich now because I can smell fuel and it is bogging down pretty hard. I had the timing tuned and the vacuum lines set to where they're supposed to be(there is a chance that these are wrong, the guy who did them seemed to not be very knowledgeable working with this truck). I've adjusted the carb about as lean as I can make it go. The engine sounds great idling and runs pretty smooth once it gets up to speed. The major problem I'm having is that at around the 15 MPH mark it bogs down and you have to feather the gas up until it gets to around 20 MPH. I was wondering what this problem could be and the best way to go about fixing it. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have an exhaust leak on one of the headers and Glass Packs on the exhaust.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if the guy was not very knowledgeable about the vacuum lines you should probably keep them away from your engine and possibly truck. vacuum lines are pretty universally the same between most carbed engines.

sounds like the carb probably needs to be tuned. for your engines. you will most likely need to find a person that know edel brock carbs because they can be a bit more complicated to tune perfectly unless you know what your doing.