84 Ram W150 Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Techniix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1984 Dodge Ram Prospector with a blown 318 in it. The truck has a 6 inch suspension lift and a 3 inch body lift with Mickey Thompson tires on it. I need a replacement engine and I was thinking about getting a newer model 360 to put in it, one that is fuel injected. The engine I have found is from a 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4. What all would I need to make this swap?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You need the computer, the sensors and the harness to start.

I suspect you'll need a new radiator with more cooling capacity, different engine mounts, a bell housing adapter (or the transmission from the donor truck with the TCM, sensors and harness), a modified driveshaft, the donor truck's air intake, etc...

It's a long list, IMHO.

OP
OP
T

Techniix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay. What would be the easiest way to put a new engine in this truck? I imagine it's going to be a lot of work no matter which way I go about it. I don't suppose, and highly doubt, that the intake manifold off my 318 would work on the newer model engine... If I wanted to keep all that, what would I need? I'm not an expert by any means, but I learn quick.

breg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay. What would be the easiest way to put a new engine in this truck? I imagine it's going to be a lot of work no matter which way I go about it. I don't suppose, and highly doubt, that the intake manifold off my 318 would work on the newer model engine... If I wanted to keep all that, what would I need? I'm not an expert by any means, but I learn quick.
Either rebuild what you have or get a crate engine. Rebuild will be cheaper...maybe.

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
The 318-to-360 is usually an easy swap - even the bell housing lines up, EXCEPT... the engine you blew was an LA block, and the engine you want to replace it with is a MAGNUM... and they are, as I understand, two different animals. icon11.gif

Having never worked with LA blocks (my RC is a Magnum... naturally... :doh2:) you'll wanna talk with someone familiar with BOTH. Hopefully, our resident expert, crazzywolfie, will pop in here soon!

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
We pulled the 318 Poly out of Dad's 66 Coronet and installed a 360 Magnum.
Get a Carb manifold for the Magnum, Quick fuel carb (or Holley, Edelbrock, etc), electric fuel pump (as the magnum does not have the place for a mechanical pump), Distributor swap, exhaust manifolds or headers (We went with a complete TTI Stainless).
You have a 318 so you'll need a Torque Converter (or is it ring gear). It's a balance issue.

Great step up.

Or go easy on yourself and your bank account, get a LA360.