88 318 engine help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ray hall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
225 slant six
My cousin has an 88 w100 with a throttle body 318. We bought a 72 318 that is all stock except it has the 360 cam, heads, a four barrel offenhouser high rise intake and a holly double pumper carb. I was told with the bottom end being stock it will have a lot less power due to a compression ratio change. What I want to know is did I hear right or will it have more power than what he has now?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
compression ratio should be about the same. the TBI is the big thing that would help put out more power. you might possibly thinking of the 92 and newer 318 magnums that got a bit better designed heads and engine that put out more power.

OP
OP
ray hall

ray hall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
225 slant six
R u saying the TBI is more power or the carb is more power. I have thought of magnum swap but just rolling with what we already have. He is wanting more power so that's y we got this motor. But I was told it wouldn't have any more power because of the compression. We were going the carb route because we like them better and he was going to get rid of the lean burn and rewire it all to eliminate all the wires. Just hoping it would put out more power than what we have now

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
the TBI 88 should be putting out more power in stock form than the 72 would in stock form. the carbed 318 were rated at about 140hp and the TBI 318 were rated at about 170hp stock. the 318 magnums were rated for 230hp but they were multi port fuel injected. also as far as i know neither of those trucks should have lean burn ignition system