88 ramcharger timing eratic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
I've got a 88 ramcharger 5.2 someone brought me to work on. a 90 was my first car so I know a little about these. The engine will die when you put it in gear. I've narrowed it down to timing. When you put it in gear and give it gas, it surges and runs crappy.

During this surging with a timing light I can watch the mark jump past the 20 degree mark on the cover and come back.

I've turned the crank by hand back and forth and it seems the chain is fine. People are telling me the computer advances timing so it's either the computer or the distributor but a computer just sends signals to actuators.. If the rotor button is stationary (there's no mechanical or vacuum advance) then there's no way to change when the spark from the coil gets to the plug. It's going to always be the same. Am I missing something here?

rusties93LE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 magnum
Sounds like a huge vacuum leak, sounds like the IAC is trying to compensate

OP
OP
R

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
It's hard to get a good read on it but vacuum is jumping between 10 and 20 in but then again is that because of the surging or is there an actual problem the computer is trying to compensate for. When I crank it up it'll run at 19-21 in great for a few seconds then vacuum will drop below 15 and then It starts it's surging. I'm wondering if the timing chain is stretched causing the timing to go out enough to lose vacuum. Vacuum dies instantly once the engine is turned off.