89 d150 runninag and starting probs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9l
truck is a 3.9l v6. Ran fine up until a week ago. Noticed some bogging down when leaving from a stop. I thought it would be a good idea to try a msd coil. This did not help. The problem got worse. I also noticed the coil arcing out. I have no idea what that's about. so Back on with the old coil. The problem started getting worse. So went through the motions. Replaced, air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, cap and rotor. still no luck. Sprayed and cleaned throttle body. now its a pain the a$$ to start. have to hold the key for a min before it starts. Idles fine ... revs fine... but in gear its stumbling bad with any sharp acceleration. I can get steady driving but that's it. I thought fuel injectors but when I was cleaning the throttle body I can see them spraying and I figured the problem would be at idle and in park also. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

gwgdog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I see this post is over a year old. Did you ever find out the cause?

Reason I ask, my 90 D-150 S with the 318 is doing the same thing. Starts fine runs well until warm and starts stumbling and kicking through all gears. I replaced fuel filter, Cap, Rotor and Coil. No change. the only code it is showing is the 034 Cruise control servo, but it doesn't have cruise control.

Thanks Gary

ODA13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L.A. 318
Do you have a filter going from your break boost to your carb? Mine got clogged. Replaced filter and she runs like a top!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
have you tried replacing the hall effect sensor in the distributor? i think it can cause issue similar to what you described

gwgdog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I fixed mine.

I had three bad spark plug wires. The three wires tested way higher than the other 5 wires, so I replaced all of them. The spark plug wires I had on them were the high dollar Taylor 8mm, less than an year old. I also notice my cap was wiggling a little bit, so I put a little more bend in the clamps.

She runs like a dream again now. I bought a hall effect sensor, but I not confident enough to try that in the drive way :) My brother has a nice shop and tinkers with hot rod mopars on the weekends so I'll talk him into helping me put that in.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Gary

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
There is only 2 Phillips screws you got to remove from the side of the distributor and the sensor comes right out.

ROtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
I'll need to check out mine for that"filter" in the vacuum between brakes booster and throttle body. That arc from ignition coil I seen it once on mine when jump starting from another battery except it was the ground wire directly behind and near the coil.

ROtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
The sensor is easy. Just an awkward angle to work at in getting one of those screws taught. I let mine in shop one time and I believe they broke the sensor after replacing a"pick up plate" because I found it broken at a later time when I began to investigate my troubles

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956