'90 D150 300k?+ STALLS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Coincidentally hit deer, broke off piece of sbec housing. Unknowing and while trying to straighten fender I removed comp, stripped bolt/pin when reconnecting. Can't recall exactly when stalling began in relation to my reconnecting it using zip ties. Been running good on and off and a lot of miles since (1.5 yrs) with occasional stalls and no restart issues. Over that time, lost and removed smog pump and pipes not sealing the wholes in the best way yet, found air charge temp sensor to be broke cracked, EGR valve clogged and replace d, cleaned ports on tb, replaced some hoses vacuum related, fuel filter, the hall effect sensor was physically broke somehow, fuel pressure regulator-just examined and cleaned, new cap rotor, wires and plugs. Lastly replaced key cylinder and ignition switch. It s just been dieing on me once everything couple months since I first touched that computer. No real solution yet. Cont

OP
OP
R

ROtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
To my own thread: new and learning

So at one point in time towed in to shop and they couldn't find anything wrong."doing what designed to do. They did perform fuel pressure test. Fuel pump replaced in '05. Oh yeah, it also misfires and hesitates on take off and way more often here recently. Found oil to be gaining access to the spark. Can this last thing trigger the hall sensor in the distributor to cause computer to shut off engine?

OP
OP
R

ROtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Same old truck

Oh yeah, what it does when the no start condition occurs and why I decided to replace worn out key cylinder and ignition... When I turn key, click at one of the relays, and get only either CE light or maintenance request light.or both but goes off to quick. Or one just flashes. Lot of key turning and then at sudden it does what it's supposed to do when IT WILL Actually up-both lights come on and stay lit for about three seconds.

OP
OP
R

ROtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Would like to fix if possible without too much put in. Gotta learn how to test wires and isolate wiring problems to eliminate things before anything else I think. If I removed the tb. Then will come the rest. Intake etc and de pending on what I find under intake will determine my next move. I'd lean toward making it older and with least amount of wires possible. But not yet. Because when it runs good it still can tear up the asfault.

OP
OP
R

ROtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
One known electric problem and one possible issue: at night after switching brights on, they only stay on so long eventually all light s just go off and then will only come back on if I either switch back to dim or turn off lights then back on dim only. And when u joints failed drove couple trips with bad vibration and lost bolt to rear ALB sensor mounted atop the rearend housing. Any help, ideas, or suggestions. Thanks.

OP
OP
R

ROtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Vacuum leaks

I knew I had a"vacuum" leak of some sort when the EGR valve was not operating properly. One that would cause internal combustion to be too hot. Wondering if Pistons and or rings got scored? I'm for sure now to have leakiness around throttle body main gasket as I sprayed around it and idle ramped up then back down when stopped spray. Can this condition of"unmetered" air intake cause rich lean conditions whereby the plugs look like 8 different plugs and possible sensor (s) to send signal to sbec to shutter down?

OP
OP
R

ROtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Other info: no sure sign of head gasket leak even though I did run it hot a few years back when small hose broke lose and drained coolant. Removed cat house and found no catalyst. There are some exhaust leaks. Did clog oil pickup tube once recently so bad that when I removed the filter, turnt over motor and blew out zero oil even with a full crankcase (20-50). Solved that with 5 minute idle of motor flush and ran 3 mos with a touch of Marvel's. I'm likely to have caused most of my trouble even with aged motor. I can only estimate it's got around 380k. See other posts on my Dodge. Wish I had older more classic. Trucks blue but suppose to be dark green. Losing all the chrome trim one piece at a time that made it an LE. Positives about it Tran and rear seem good only other thing new from me is radiator, u joints, all front end suspension new zerks and joints. Busted brake booster and master cylinder fail after hitting a different deer (got new parts). Been most problematic since I first touched that computer and since I removed the air injector (smog pump) never seen smog in FL and the trees like the exhaust.

OP
OP
R

ROtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Ok. So it's not the carb mounting gasket but the front rectangular shaped Port gasket where 3 hoses exit. First noticed it couple when I got my first stall no start and towed it one half mile to shop when I poured on some Petro to see if it was a fuel issue. Nonetheless today after sitting couple days with battery disconnected pulled examined and cleaned plugs. Fired off and let idle about 10 minutes. Put emergency brake on, revved up, no problems to my ear. Put in gear adjusted idle actuator up a bit and throttle d up just a hair by hand with throttle lever next to tb and pop! Like an intake valve mis... The main sound at least came from carb area and kilt engine. Then no start which I can tell by way it acted when I turn key forward (see above reply to my be own thread about key turns). What's the matter with this thing?

OP
OP
R

ROtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Mopar chopper

Thinking about losing this entire intake, rebuilding entire engine within carb and carb intake with matching distributor and computer all genuine Mopar parts. Basically making year model older. I'll even put in manual transmission. Any good or better ideas about this? This is my first truck bought $1600 about 16 years ago. Only other was 84 MC with truck 350 and all the older stuff. Been told I got monies worth out this D150 and probably owe someone some since I've never had a car payment to make. And don't want one. Or all the new sensorized vehicles.

OP
OP
R

ROtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
The good side

The bad side and the ugly

Attachments

• 15004110479771326225186.jpg
    15004110479771326225186.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 15004110861241722506506.jpg
    15004110861241722506506.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 150041112902896362786.jpg
    150041112902896362786.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
R

ROtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Eltr vs mech

I think my computer's telling on my motor or my motor's telling on my computer or both. That's why I picked RO as user initials.