95 Dodge diesel w/5.9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meekser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
I'm new to this so bear with me ! I just got this truck from my son this summer . The colder it gets the harder it is to start . First thing in the morning when I start my truck it starts great and runs for about 5 to 8 second and shuts down like it needs fuel . I have to turn the key and hold pedal to the floor and you can hear it trying to start and it dose after 3 or 4 tries . I'm wondering what someone's input is on this . Thank you !

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you might want to try posting in the diesel section. they might be a bit more helpful.
Engine and Performance - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

now i do got a bit of experience with 12 valves and definitely sounds like something is not right. have you checked the fuel lines? there should be no reason for the engine to shut off after 5-8 second of running. also if it is struggling to keep going i would almost wonder if sucking air into the fuel system when sitting and taking that 3-4 times trying to start it to get the air out.