best electric fan for the job?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rusties93LE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 magnum
Hi all, I've been contemplating putting an electric fan on the ol' girl, but I want it to fit under the stock shroud (for original looks purpose). Ideas on which one? I'm thinking thermostatically controlled (so I don't have to mess with a switch, just let it so it's thing). I'll be making other mods in the future, so it has to be able to cool 400hp, and pulling a travel trailer up grades. I plan on eventually adding a trans and oil cooler a little later, but I figure this is a good starting point. The object here is to her as "stock/original" looking as possible.

Future mods-
Hughes engines lower plenum fix kit (possibly port match intake/gasket)
Dual magnaflow cats/mufflers, and new HO2 sensors
Camshaft
Chip
High flow air filter assembly
**distant future mods**
Edelbrock magnum heads
Roller rockers
Bigger injectors/throttle body
Headers (ugh)
M1 intake manifold
Camshaft appropriate for above mods
...hmmmm

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you could possibly look into better injectors sooner rather than later. you don't need bigger injectors. you need a better spray pattern like the Bosch design 3 injectors. it would be easier to replace them when you do the the plenum fix anyway. you can usually get a rebuilt set for about $100

i am personally running a 96-00 dodge caravan fan on my 81 and i find i never need it unless i get stuck in traffic whichw i usually never do.
20140707_204545.jpg
20140707_204416.jpg
there is also the jeep recall fan. it is a popular choice to use with stock fan shroud but i think they have gone up in price over the last couple of years.
2012-04-27%252019.06.13.png

19" Jeep fan - Part Number CBG4F250
Mounted with zipties in the stock shroud

OP
OP
rusties93LE

rusties93LE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 magnum
Thanks, I'll look into both fan options. As far as injectors go, the truck runs fantastic, I was thinking when I start throwing performance goodies at it, that a little bit bigger injectors would be in order... To compliment the rest of the upgrades. Fixing the plenum issue before it becomes one, and integrate better cooling fan are somewhat priority... Especially here in phoenix, where it's hot! The injectors are on the list of distant mods anyway, because right now, @ 51,*** miles, it's still fairly fresh, but an excellent suggestion, and something to keep in mind.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
As far as i know there is really no performance goodies for these trucks that would really require you to run larger injectors. stock size is fine. you just need a injector that atomizes the fuel better. you can check out youtube for injector comparisons. the Bosch design 3 injectors atomize the fuel better than most injectors because of the 4 holes in the tip instead of just 1. should even give you a power a fuel mileage boost

OP
OP
rusties93LE

rusties93LE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 magnum
Thank you sir, I will look into these injectors. I have two friends that have Dakotas, one turbo...9.5 second quarter mile truck, and the other has a Paxton supercharger, both run bigger injectors... I'm just ramping up for a turbo... Maybe! Lol (stroker?)

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ah turbo's and super chargers completely change a situation. they usually make you require a bit more fuel but i don't think they require that much bigger of an injector. i am pretty sure stock injectors are 19lb injectors but i think you could possibly run 24lb injectors as long as you got the injectors with the better spray pattern like the bosch injectors.
[yt]VfynoxL2RZI[/yt]

Last edited:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Couple of things with electric fans.

1: Seal the fan to the shroud. That Grand Cherokee fan is a perfect example of a poor install. That huge gap between the shroud n fan negates the purpose of the shroud. It's easier to pull air in that gap than through the radiator, so that's what it'll do! The better the seal, the more air it will pull THROUGH the radiator, which is the entire point!

2: Get a thread in cooling fan switch and drill/tap a boss on your intake manifold. The magnum manifolds have bosses for 2 temp senders by the t-stat. The 'temp probe' units from an auto-parts store are less than reliable.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
apparently the jeep fan worked pretty good when needed on the truck that the fan was installed on. i guess that is one of the bonus's of the Caravan fan. they cover the rad nicely. they are also cheap to get at a auto recycler. the guy at the auto recycler here was only asking $25 per fan assembly when i got my first one. also if you do get a caravan fan assembly make sure to try grabbing solid state relay that is bolted to the frame and as much of the wiring as possible. solid state relays are good even tho you have to bolt them to something that can be used as a heat sink. you can actually use it to slow down the fans so that they are not running 100% speed all the time. i know i have been playing with the 1 i have.