Brake and Speed issues on my '91 Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FarmerMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum, so bear with me! For many years my dad had a 1991 Dodge Ram 250. He bought the thing brand new right off the show room floor in '91! But over the years of being worked hard as a farm truck, it has developed some brake problems that are really starting to make me worry every time i drive it. When i want to stop i press the pedal down until i'm slowing down at a good rate, but as i slow down, i have to keep pressing the pedal down more and more to keep slowing at the same rate.....eventually, the pedal is on the floor and i'm still moving at a decent rate of speed! I then have to let up all the way on the brake pedal, and press it down again to come to a complete stop. I usually have to do this twice. Three times if i'm moving at a higher speed. Also, the acceleration on the thing seems terrible. The gas will be on the floor and it will be going about 30. It takes a good 20 seconds to get to 50 on flat ground. If anybody could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, Michael.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Needs some serious maintience.

If it were a gasser I'd say it needs a master cylinder for the brakes. But I'm not familiar with the diesels. You might need to pull the drums and inspect the shoes back there as they periodically require adjustment and they GREATLY affect brake pedal feel and on the heavy trucks, braking performance. Check the fluid level as well.

For the acceleration issue, is the truck an auto or manual? If it's an auto, I'd wager it needs to be serviced and have the bands adjusted.

Best of luck and welcome to RF.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
have you checked the brake fluid level? if the brake peddle is going to the floor then you most likely got a leak. if you got a brake line double flaring tool you can replace all the steel lines for like $20. you may also want to pull the rear drum brakes and possibly inspect things and free up the adjusters and adjust them. adjusting the rear brake a small amount can make a huge difference to how well the brakes work and stop a truck. as far as acceleration goes i can't help you much. not really that familiar with diesel trucks.