Can't get past 50mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ODA13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L.A. 318
I don't know what's going on but all of the sudden my truck doesn't want to go past 45-50mph! Could it be a timing issue? Also I've noticed she seems to be running hotter than normal.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i don't think the timing being off would stop you from going past 45-50mph. what is it doing once you hit that speed or try to pass it? does it start bogging or something?

OP
OP
O

ODA13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L.A. 318
It's shifting weird now. I can floor it, and the rpms will go up, but won't shift until I let off the throttle. Once I hit 45-50 I can hold the accelerator down and nothing happens. This is all of the sudden! She had been getting hotter than normal but driving fine!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Have you checked the kick down linkage and made sure it is properly adjusted? I would probably start there. That effects when the truck shifts while driving.

OP
OP
O

ODA13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L.A. 318
The linkage is good. All where it's supposed to be, and moves how it's supposed to move!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
The linkage is good. All where it's supposed to be, and moves how it's supposed to move!
just because the linkage is there and moving does not mean it is adjusted properly. to me it sounds like it is not adjusted properly if you have to let off the gas for it to shift. mine usually shifts from 1st to 2nd at about 30mph under full throttle no matter what and possibly sooner under lighter throttle. can you throw it in 2nd gear manually and run it past 50mph?