Carter carb idle issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Misty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
225 Slant 6
So I just installed a new carb on my 83 D150 225 slant six.

I decided to replace the old carb as I couldn't solve the issues even after rebuild. The new carb is perfect however it seems to hold choke idle on way too long.

From a cold start, the truck will idle around 1500rpm, then slowly climb to 2000-2500 rpm. Ive found I have to turn it off and on a few times and rev the motor to get it to drop to normal idle, about 650rpm.

I have left it a few times to warm up without turning it off but it just seems to climb or not drop at all even when I blip the throttle. I really don't want to touch the idle screws etc unless I have to as it's all new all and set up to factory specs.

The carb is a Carter 2 barrel.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, I'm a total newb to carbs and I'm learning as I go.
Thanks folks

ODA13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L.A. 318
Linkage

There should be an adjustment on your linkage for the choke. Can you send a pic?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you may have to adjust the choke to get it working properly. the choke is 1 of the things most carb rebuilders can't set for you unless it has an electric choke. i know a lot of people even just swap out the choke for a mechanical choke.