Dying transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Walter Joy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (360) TBI V8
So my truck has been doing alright until last week, when the transmission starting acting up. Usually, the transmission would shift 1-2 between 20-25 mph and 2-3 between 35-45 mph, all depending on throttle input. But now, she shifts 1-2-3 all under 20 mph. I've looked around on other forums and found that it would be related to a missing or an out of whack lockdown linkage. But I have the linkage on and it doesn't seem to be out of whack (I can move it horizontally but a friend who knows a local transmission rebuilder says it's alright). So is the 727 Torqueflite finally giving the ghost or is there a little life left? If I mash it she downshifts but it's hard to tell if it downshifts and the upshifts are super soft and subtle. And it doesn't slip in gear or have any burning fluid smell. I'm trying to see if there's any remedies I can do now due to my budget being very restricted between school and gas.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
your best to inspect and adjust the kick down linkage and see what happens. it effects when and where your transmission shifts. sounds like what the transmission in my 93 does when the kickdown cable falls off the lever on the transmission. it shifts into the next gear as soon as possible which make is a pain to drive.