Engine idles fine, but revs slowly drop to a stall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey,

My truck can run fine for days, then suddenly if I'm parked or at a red light, the revs will start creeping down and within maybe 20-30 seconds, they drop so low that the engine stalls if I don't give it gas. This problem will continue until a seemingly random time, where it will suddenly run fine again. I've tried finding a common denominator.. but nothing. It can be wet outside, dry, hot, cold, and it can happen as soon as I start the truck in the morning or it can happen halfway through my drive through town. And the fact that it fixes it self randomly as well really confuses me. Also, another problem that only happens sometimes, but that has a completely different pattern than the previous problem I explained, is when I accelerate, my engine will sputter out at about 40-50% throttle, but if I give it either less or more gas, it will "get past" this stalling spot. Obviously, it's very bad on gas doing this because I basically have to punch the throttle at every green light to get past that stalling point. This problem can come and go just as randomly as my other problem.

Does this sound like a carb issue?

PS: sometimes when I start it, it fires up like a new truck but other times I have to keep the key turned for a good 6 seconds before the winding over sound turns into the engine firing up which takes another few seconds before it fully fires up.

Thanks

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
might want to check your ignition module to see if is getting a good ground. also you should possibly check the reluctor gap in the distributor. if the gap is too large it can cause issues.
bike.jpg

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I will look over that module today. thanks.

is it possible that it's a problem with the carburetor? Now, one out of every 4 or 5 times that I try to turn the truck on, it won't start. It winds over fine, which means it's getting lots of power from the battery, and I know for a fact it's getting a spark, so does that mean it is probably a gas/carb problem? Remember, it stalls when I put the pedal down halfway sometimes as well... to me it seems like the signs are pointing to a carb problem (gas not getting where it needs to be)
I am moving in a week to a different province with my girlfriend and this dodge is the only vehicle we will have, so I need it to be more reliable. If I take it to a shop, and describe the problem, will they refuse to look into it because it could be 100 different causes? Or would they be able to find it?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it could be the carb. could possibly be a vacuum leak or even possibly a sticky float. have you tried running the engine with the air filter off? if the float is sticking you will usually have a bit of fuel come out of the vent on the carb depending on how bad it is sticking. to check for vacuum leaks you would need a vacuum gauges. personally i got a vacuum gauge mount in my truck at all times. i know i have had a few leaks usually mainly a the carb base plate but my truck pretty much has no vacuum line so finding a vacuum leak is easy. if you got some of the stock emission equipment still installed you could possibly have a bad vacuum line.