engine knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodelover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
hey i drive a 1989 dodge d100 and if i push the pedal to the floor it makes a knocking sound is their anyway to fix that

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is a pretty old truck, could be a loose piston and connecting rod, if so it is the kiss of death. You can try switching to high grade synthetic oil to see if it helps, but that engine may be on it's way out. Open engine compartment when engine is running, can you identify if the noise is coming from top end or bottom end? If bottom end, you will need to be doing some engine work or look for a new ride soon.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Oh yeah I forgot, it happened to me once in a old Chevy, I paid for the shop to bore it out and get all new stuff, and after I got it back it lasted about 6 months before throwing a rod again and finally killed it for good. If you really really love your truck, consider a new engine or a remanu'ed one with warranty. But if I was you, I'd just get a another truck. Until then, don't push the pedal to the floor. There is an off chance it could be carbon buildup, you can try running Kreen that stuff will loosen any sludge or varnish, and then trying some synthetic oil. Even if this helps, there would still likely be play in the cylinder, which means you are at the end of engine life anyhow. Don't do anything stupid like removing the wire to that cylinder, you will create a bigger problem with unburnt fuel then worrying about when the rod is going to go. good luck

88rambigblock

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985, 1988, 2001
Engine
1970 coded 440 big block
if a good shop completely redoes your engine it will last just as long.