Engine rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramanator

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 1999, 1995, and 1984
Engine
Hemi 5.7, two 318s and a 360
I need to rebuild my 84 318 and I know they have kits but right now I think it would be better for me to buy each part one at a time. Can someone give me a complete list of what I need to get? The best brands and any parts that can beef it up a little

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
to tell the truth it might be cheap in the long run to just get a kit if you are thinking about rebuilding the engine yourself. buying a few parts here and there may end up costing a lot more.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Its easiest if you pull the motor and bring the heads into a machine shop unless you want to do the valve job yourself.

Piston rings
Main bearings
Rod bearings
Timing chain/kit
Head gaskets
Head bolts
Front crankshaft seal
Rear main seal
Valve stem seals
Valve springs
Valve spring retainers
Valve cover gaskets?
Pushrods if they look worn on the ends

A gasket set will probably have evetything you need including the crank seals. If you get a new larger camshaft then I would also replace the lifters. If you reuse your cam then I've read that its best to keep the lifters in their original spots. If you don't pull the motor then you can still recondition the heads and replace piston rings and rod bearings but main bearings and front and rear seals would be hard to do. I would also replace the water pump and thermostat if they aren't new.

As far as performance goes you could upgrade the cam along with the valve train components, stroker kit or maybe even just the rocker arms but I'm not as familiar with this type of build on the older engines.

OP
OP
ramanator

ramanator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I figured it would be more expensive but I think it would be better for me to buy the parts over time. But I'm not set in either yet

OP
OP
ramanator

ramanator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its easiest if you pull the motor and bring the heads into a machine shop unless you want to do the valve job yourself.

Piston rings
Main bearings
Rod bearings
Timing chain/kit
Head gaskets
Head bolts
Front crankshaft seal
Rear main seal
Valve stem seals
Valve springs
Valve spring retainers
Valve cover gaskets?
Pushrods if they look worn on the ends

A gasket set will probably have evetything you need including the crank seals. If you get a new larger camshaft then I would also replace the lifters. If you reuse your cam then I've read that its best to keep the lifters in their original spots. If you don't pull the motor then you can still recondition the heads and replace piston rings and rod bearings but main bearings and front and rear seals would be hard to do. I would also replace the water pump and thermostat if they aren't new.

As far as performance goes you could upgrade the cam along with the valve train components, stroker kit or maybe even just the rocker arms but I'm not as familiar with this type of build on the older engines.

Thanks I've never done this before so I had no idea what I needed lol

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
You're welcome. I forgot to list exhaust manifold gaskets and bolts and if you don't have them already a piston ring compressor (cheap) and a torque wrench (not as cheap). Also a valve spring compressor if you're going to do the heads yourself. Have fun. :)

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
have you possibly considered just buying a rebuilt engine? if your doing a fairly stock rebuild a rebuilt engine might be cheaper over all. then you would just have to bolt a few of your parts onto the new engine and your ready to go.

OP
OP
ramanator

ramanator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't thought about that, but I'm wanting to go alittle over stock

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
well it didn't sound like you were planning anything like a stroker. you could buy a rebuilt engine and install a cam of your choice. i think your pretty much right there anyway. rockauto has long blocks listed for about $1600 and that includes the $250 core. that don't include shipping but it seems fairly cheap. i think even if you swapped cams and everything you would still be under $2000 by the time your done which i think would be cheaper than building an engine yourself.

You're welcome. I forgot to list exhaust manifold gaskets and bolts and if you don't have them already a piston ring compressor (cheap) and a torque wrench (not as cheap). Also a valve spring compressor if you're going to do the heads yourself. Have fun. :)
exhaust manifold gaskets are for new trucks :roflsquared:. none on my 81

OP
OP
ramanator

ramanator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol I just want it a little peppier than stock. So that doesn't sound bad. But how much would a stroker help

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i think something like an rv/towing cam might be about what your looking for especially since you already have a 4 barrel. a stroker would increase power but it would also increase the amount of work you need to do.
[yt]uk0USBvh8AU[/yt]

OP
OP
ramanator

ramanator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I need

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ya. i usually post that video every time someone is looking for a cam. i like the sound that it puts out.