Engine Was Running, Stalled, Now Will NOT TURN OVER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I started my truck up this morning and was feathering the gas to get it to stay at a steady idle. I accidentally let my foot off the gas too long causing it to stall. When I tried starting it back up again, it cranked over 3 times, then stopped. So I tried again, and the only thing I hear is a "ting" sound. The battery has lots of charge and the posts are clean with good connections. It sort of sounds the same as when a starter goes bad and it won't turn over - but I have a new starter and it wouldn't just crap out suddenly like that, it would get a dead spot over time. Does anyone know what is causing this? And please know that the engine will not turn over.... it has nothing to do with getting spark/gas or a dead battery. Any help would be great, thanks.
It's a 1984 318 Carburated engine.

Dan70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
it sounds like the timing is super advanced. is the distributor loose? try unplugging the vacuum advance. is it real loud?? like metal on metal?

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
it sounds like the timing is super advanced. is the distributor loose? try unplugging the vacuum advance. is it real loud?? like metal on metal?
I did just take it into a shop because the timing chain is worn, so he put the timing ahead of its original position to compensate. So this is very possible... Does that mean a new timing chain is needed?

Dan70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
before anything I would get a socket on the balancer and turn the engine over a couple times by hand just to make sure nothing is hitting metal on metal. If that checks out fine i would loosen the distributor and turn it about 1/2" or so and see if it starts or atleast turns over easier. if it does keep going until it starts.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The engine turns when I put a socket on it. I tried adjusting the distributor but still no turning over. I also replaced a plug receiver that is on the driver side fender that leads to the starter - it has 4 plugs that go onto it, but I can't remember what it's called right now. That didn't change anything either. I even tried completely bypassing the battery with another vehicle but it still doesn't turn over. (also, the oil light does NOT come on when I turn the key to start it, but it used to). Does this help find the problem at all?

Dan70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
shouldnt since its not computer controlled. does it even click? i know there is a bunch of fuseable links on the left side of the fender that are notorious for going bad and causing weird problems. i think there is 2 or 3 of them that are for the starter.

If it clicks try tapping the starter with a hammer while someone is turning the key.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It definitely clicks, and we did try tapping the starter with a hammer. We also tried crossing the wires directly by the starter itself. I will check the ignition switch next.... in the mean time, any more advice is appreciated

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ignition switch was replaced 4 months ago. It feels very firm and works the way it should, so I really don't think it's the ignition switch. We are out of ideas to check. The fusable links were fixed at an auto electric shop about a month ago because they did cause me problems, so it's not them either

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Wont crank

Have you actually checked battery voltage. Do the head lamps come on and do they stay on when attempting to crank?

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes, the headlights and dome light and tail lights stay bright while trying to start it. There is no dimming that happens. The radio turns on, the "brake" dash light turns on, and the heater fan works and doesn't slow down when trying to start.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Gave up and got it towed to a shop. Will post again when he calls me with the solution, for anyone who might experience this same problem.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Turns out it was the starter even though I just bought a new one from Napa 6 months ago. It's a piece of crap. Last time I deal with that place, what a joke. Thanks for the help everyone

Dan70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
A wise man once told me K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid...

Glad you were able to get it back out on the road without anything crazy going on!