Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dart562

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I have a D350 Custom with a crew cab, a 8 ft bed, 2wd and a 5.9 Magnum from a 1994 Van. I was thinking about doing a engine swap because i am having problems passing smog and i really hate the MPG especially with the gas prices here in Cali. So i was wondering what engine would be a good candidate to take its place. It has to have good power, reliability, and descent MPG at least 15....Or is there a way to get my 5.9 magnum from 8 mpg to at least 15...i am limited on money but will work with anything that works....The 5.9 is a amazing engine all the power i need to burn rubber all day :evillol: but is just to thirsty for my cost right now

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Getting 15 on a truck that size seems difficult maybe even impossible. I don't know if this is possible but maybe an older 12v Cummins?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
D

Dart562

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Well i was searching on some other forums and they said that they were able to get up to 15 mpg on a good day...but i have thought about doing a cummins but they can be very expensive and i don't know allot about them even though we have 2 cummins in the family

cumminswisher44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly cummins woukd be the best but go with a big block. I know what you're thinking. Bigger motor less mpg but thats not true. If you think about it, a big block puts out more Hp which means the motor wouldnt have to work as hard to haul the truck around compared to your smaller 360ci. A 440ci with all stock parts would be sufficient. I personally went from 9mpg with a slant6 in a 2wd short bed to about 17 around town (if I am driving normally and not being stupid) to almost 22 highway with the 440. Just think more HP less throttle to get it moving. Less HP more throttle to get it moving.

OP
OP
D

Dart562

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Well it makes sense....just wondering but would a newer 6.1 or 6.4 hemi would work :devilfinger: ....i still need to be able to tow and haul stuff just thought that it has more Hp and more torque but hauling power??? i know the 440 would do well with that cause i just saw an ad for a RV that was at least 35 ft long so it has the power but i was hoping for something a little newer my current 5.9 is from a 1994 dodge van so it has all the electric crap...
:uhoh2:

cumminswisher44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im sure a new hemi would work but one thing to keep in mind. The new hemis have 16 spark plugs multiport fuel injection and a throttle body that just brings in the air no mixing of air and fuel. I have a 5.7 hemi in my 04 2500 off road it weighs 8800lbs. I get 10.5mpg if im lucky. Gearing in the rearends play a big part in fuel mileage. Any new motor definitely has the power to haul but remember the newer you go the more electronic ******** you have to mess with. If I could I would put a 5.9 cummins in my truck or a 7.3 440. Its your call but id go with a 440 way less electric **** and sticking with the old time horses.

OP
OP
D

Dart562

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Yeah...but would think that all the electrical **** would help with mileage or at least to something other than make trouble...but yeah the 440 would also be easier to add power to if i really wanted and cheaper but i would rather stick with the gas engines just because gas is cheaper than diesel and is cheaper...but im starting to think more about the cummins and the diesels are allot easier to smog...

cumminswisher44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A 440 is a gas engine. But diesels are get great mpg. Buddy of mine has a 97 lifted 8 inches with 37s posi rear 5spd getting 24mpg. Its a 12valve. Older the diesel engine the better off with less pollution ********.