Engine Swap: Late 90's 5.9 into a 1990 W250??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, Ive got a 1990 W250, runs fairly well but is getting to be elderly. Thinking about buying a newer, maybe 1995-2002 5.9 to put in it. I know I will have to pull all the electronics to make it work but questions....

1. Will it bolt up to the 4 speed manual transmission (32RH???) thats already in the truck? If no, then would the newer transmission be an easy swap?
2. Will the engine mounts need to be relocated?
3. Will the electronics actually work?
4. Is this a bad idea?

5. If I stick with the carbed engine, where's a good place to get a crate engine on the cheap?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
the 32rh is actually an automatic transmission.

if the truck has a 5.9 already in it then ya it should be a straight swap. people stick 5.2 & 5.9 magnum engines in older vehicles all the time. the newer magnum engines have both the magnum and LA engine motor mount holes.

well electrically the job will be a nightmare. making the stock gauges work is easy.

your truck should be TBI which is similar to carb but still fuel injected. i don't think there is really such thing as a cheap crate motor. also if you go carbed you could still get yourself a magnum engine. they make carbed intakes for them. internally the engines are pretty much the same the only major difference was in the heads. the magnum engine head are designed to flow better than LA engine heads.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think Wolfie said it all about as I would.

If you got a 96-97 Ram truck 5.9 & computer you'd have a lot of fun.
No Post-Cat (I think?) O2 Sensor, but all the +s of OBD II.

I think this would be a really neat swap. Unless you wanted to put in a little more effort (custom work and of course $$) and swap in a 04+ Hemi. Lot more power, less weight.

rusties93LE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 magnum
Plus the magnum is roller cam, one piece seals... I have a MPFI 5.9 in my '93, same body style, I think it's very similar to the one your thinking about. Our truck can with it though.

rusties93LE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 magnum
I have pics in my gallery if you are curious...

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
actually i believe that since his truck is a 90 it would also have a roller cam in it. i think they started using roller cams in the trucks about the same time they went TBI which is 88.

as far as swaps go WhiteExpress is right that a 96-97 computer and wiring harness could be modified to work.

could also run a computer/wiring setup like mega squirt to keep the fuel injection. they are fully tunable for whatever future mods you might have planned.

as far as engines go you can pretty much choose any 93-01 5.9. should bolt right in.