Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 1st Gen : 1981 - 1993 > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

Exhaust help

This is a discussion on Exhaust help within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 1st Gen : 1981 - 1993 category!
So now that the bed is off and we have access to the rear unrestricted, I want to replace the ...

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2016, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1989
Engine: 5.9L (360) TBI V8
Default Exhaust help
So now that the bed is off and we have access to the rear unrestricted, I want to replace the Walker muffler I have on the truck. We have a replacement catalytic converter (must past the tail pipe test in my county) that will be put on. We haven't done anything up front (hole in manifold equals huge exhaust leak) as it would require pulling the engine and I don't have time or money to put headers and the works. I was looking at a 2.5 inch Thrush or Cherry Bomb muffler but they're all shorter than the old muffler and will require new tubing. So what would be the best route to go? (To keep it simple I just want it to turn down right after the muffler)

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
Walter Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 81 93
Engine: 5.2
what shape is the stock exhaust in? if it is solid i would probably leave it alone. the stock cat is most likely fine especially with how low the mileage is and likely better quality than anything you could buy.

do you know what is leaking on the stock exhaust manifold? is all the emission equipment in place and hooked up? i know sometime people butcher stuff when they remove emissions equipment. there is a port on the 1 side of both exhaust manifold that go to the air pump if it is still there.

81 dodge d150 custom long box 318 670CFM Holley Street Avenger Carb
89 RamCharger 4x4 318/727/3.21 on 33's
93 ramcharger 318 FI 2wd
crazzywolfie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie View Post
what shape is the stock exhaust in? if it is solid i would probably leave it alone. the stock cat is most likely fine especially with how low the mileage is and likely better quality than anything you could buy.

do you know what is leaking on the stock exhaust manifold? is all the emission equipment in place and hooked up? i know sometime people butcher stuff when they remove emissions equipment. there is a port on the 1 side of both exhaust manifold that go to the air pump if it is still there.
All the emissions and stuff is in place. I just want the truck to sound a little meaner (you know how teenagers are). Eventually the motor will be pulled and worked on properly. The old cat right now is being held up with wire and hopes and dreams. The muffler is alright, but the 360 is a bit restricted right now and doesn't sound as growlly as I want it to. The tailpipe also rotted off so there's a small downturn right at the muffler. I'll snap a picture next time I'm working on it.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ram Year: 81 93
Engine: 5.2
just remember that louder trucks stick out more and usually draws unwanted attention. if you do want louder you want the shortest muffler you can get which i think is a flowmaster 10 series. also if the tailpipe is rotted out you are best to shorten the exhaust and dump it in front of the rear axle. that should help it sound a bit louder.

81 dodge d150 custom long box 318 670CFM Holley Street Avenger Carb
89 RamCharger 4x4 318/727/3.21 on 33's
93 ramcharger 318 FI 2wd
crazzywolfie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

That's how it exits right now, but with the big Walker muffler.