Frustrated with a 318

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lil red power wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eh-1 LA5.9
Ok so here goes, I have a '78 power wagon with a mild 318 and I can not for the life of me figure out my problem. A few weeks ago it was running fine but while driving it, it would randomly start popping through the carb (rebuilt 600 holley) and i kid you not, it sounded like a 2 stroke going down the road. The popping was annoying and it had no power. Well it started getting worse and worse and the other day I got stranded. Motor would turn on (still popping) but it would not rev and would die in gear instantly. Anyway, I just put $300 in a brand new 600 holley and it is doing the same thing so I dont think its a carb problem. I checked for vacuum leaks multiple times and I have none. Anyway, I moved onto timing and I tried advancing it and retarding and messed with it for a good hour and got no where, there were no noticeable difference no matter which way I turned the distributer. I have full msd ignition and its all brand new. I know even new items can be faulty but I truly believe there is nothing wrong with my ignition system but I dont know at this point. I'm so frustrated with it and am lost. I have no clue what to do next.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
I would drop back.... and punt!!

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
how are the plugs? i would also double check the cap, rotor and wires. usually popping through the carb is timing, spark jumping wires or something seriously wrong in the engine. have you tried doing a compression check?

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
rotating the dist. should produce definite changes in idle speed and idle quality. Pop the dist. cap off and examine it closely. Is there any moisture in the cap? Are there any carbon tracks in the inside between terminals? Do you have the correct rotor, and is the carbon center terminal in cap intact and making contact with rotor. Make sure the spark plug wires are connected properly, and in correct order. Make sure #1 dist terminal and rotor are indexed properly with TDC.
Maybe your timing chain is shot. Pull the fuel pump off and look in the hole with a bore scope. Look at the nylon teeth, make sure they are ALL intact.

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
rotating the dist. should produce definite changes in idle speed and idle quality. Pop the dist. cap off and examine it closely. Is there any moisture in the cap? Are there any carbon tracks in the inside between terminals? Do you have the correct rotor, and is the carbon center terminal in cap intact and making contact with rotor. Make sure the spark plug wires are connected properly, and in correct order. Make sure #1 dist terminal and rotor are indexed properly with TDC.
Maybe your timing chain is shot. Pull the fuel pump off and look in the hole with a bore scope. Look at the nylon teeth, make sure they are ALL intact.

Good Post I agree.