Got my first 1st Gen.. now i need help lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramharder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 12 valve
hye everybody, so i got my first 1990 d250 non intercooled 12 valve. its a pretty solid truck, has a few things that need some TLC first of which is the power steering pump... i have looked up some threads and am thouroughly confnused on this process haha. first i guess let medescribe the problem, the steering is hard, it whines, and the fluid is like a peach color milky substance. the old man said it just had a leak and there is a leak from the lines coming out of it, but i figure i need to go ahead and replace the whole pump. or should i just worry about changing the lines ? im fairly mechanicla but have not messed with this engine before. anyone know a link to a good step by step how to or can give some adviced? thanks for any help/info guys!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if there is a leak in one of the lines that might be the best place to start. i would also consider replacing the fluid when you do that. i have tried some of the new stuff that is called power steering fluid and my pump didn't like it and was pretty quick to switch back to ATF which is what i usually run in my system if it is not leaking too bad. my 1 trucks gets motor oil in the pump because it leaks bad enough lol.

OP
OP
R

ramharder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 12 valve
Thanks for the reply bud, yeah will Def start with the leaks and thanks for the heads up with the atf fluid. One sterring pumpthread I saw had step by step pics and had some kind of motor driven vacuum pump and broke bearings and s*** that was pressed onto the pump.. lol scared me a lil

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ya i am not overly familiar with the diesel setups as much as i am with the gas trucks. i know they look like they are more work to replace.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Welcome to the forum.. We have very similar trucks.

Dan70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
those pumps are pretty tough. I would definitely get good clean fluid in it (atf) mine doesnt like power steering fluid either... but anyway, clean fluid and fix the leaks might go a long way with your issue. also would be a good idea to flush out the power steering cooler, and gearbox, just to get all of the bad peachy substance that you speak of out of the system

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ya these pumps are tough. i usually run motor oil in my 81's power steering system just because of how much it leak. i have even run gear oil in it at times when i had no motor oil sitting around.