Have to Pump Gas 15-20 Times to Start Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I took my truck to a local shop because it had major carburetor and gas problems... there was a hole in my gas sending unit which let chunks of dirt and water and ice get into the gas tanks and in turn get into the fuel lines and carb. he completely fixed these things and it runs great now, however I now have to pump the gas 15-20 times in colder temps (-15 degrees C), whereas before I only had to pump it 4 times in a cold start. Why would this be? He also had to wire the choke open at all times because he could not find a manual choke and said this would be easier for me. Anyone have an idea?
Thanks

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
sounds like the guy you had working on your truck was not much of a mechanic. the reason your truck is most likely having an issue starting is because the choke is wired open or the accelerator pump was not reconnected. if you think of it like a small engine like a lawn mower or snow blower you got to close the choke to start it and open it once it is running. if you got a stock 2 barrel carb/intake there should be choke linkage on the passenger side of the carb.