help, old corroded oil line spraying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldred

Reaction score
Ram Year
standard 1991 dodge ram d150 sweptline
Engine
3.9L
new here, was wire brushing rust of underbody and must of hit a thin metal line by accident. the line is behide the front drivers side tire. black rubber hose to a metal clamp/ nut bolted metal piping. pipe is heavy rusted threw sum electric tape over it. obviously dont kno the id like to tho.
wondering, if you kno what im talking bout, if i could seal it by welding of something or would it be possible to replace the part. the bolt looks like its never moved looks tough and im guessing the one fro the junkyard is only worse, advice? help?can i do it?or is it guna cost me alot? this is my first truck and im pretty bummed out, i was just trying to clean up all the rust you kno, i love the truck pictures below i hope Welcome to Flickr! its the black leaking pipe behide the one centered the photo

OP
OP
O

oldred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L
also like to kno what it is called, i kno it gas to do with the oil cause the oil sensor comes on.

OP
OP
O

oldred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L
thanks fo the reply, did the picture view for you? hopefully the link worked, any suggestion would help, even what that line is connected to. i have a 1991 dodge ram auto 3.9L by the way

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im on my phone so i cant really tell but it looks like it may be your power steering gear box? Can you tell what its connected to? Got any more pics? And if that is it I would recommend replacing it

OP
OP
O

oldred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L
alright its coming from the power steering i have like no power steering, i went to the junkyard an got the part not sure if itll fit but i hope i can jerry wrige something, or is that a bad idea?

OP
OP
O

oldred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L
i have two different fittings for the power steering gearbox line. one has a different tip that connects to the rubber hose by slipping it on and the other one has a factory clamp seal type thing and i have no idea how to get out the remaining hose. does it matter which one goes whereas long as it screws into the gearbox? not sure what the tips are called maybe reserviour? i think i could do in myself but i dont want to mess up big time, would i have to drain the power steering fluid would it drain out itsrlf? any comment would be very helpful, tell your friends, please help

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im a little confused. The fittings should be two different sizes so you cant switch them. the fluid should drain it self

OP
OP
O

oldred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L
well the bolts look the same size, just the ends that go to the rubber tubes are little different shape and the fittings that connect to it (either slide inside of the tubing or clamp up over the tubing) are alittle different. can one slide into the tube line or does it have to be clamp on there like the factory seal. what i was think was cutting the tube then putting that one sliding fitting on there, praying its the same size bolt for the gear box. looks like every other one ive seen at the junkyard.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe it has to be like the one thats one there. If im thinking correctly one is for the line that goes to the box and is under more pressure and the other is the return line that doesnt need to be able to hold that much pressure. Im not really familiar with those gear boxes but I think thats how they work. I wouldnt try and switch them

OP
OP
O

oldred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L
okay, i did more research, ya'll are right. its the p/s gearbox receiving hose coupling with o-ring. i need the entire hose with the two factory clamped couplings at each end. probably guna need a fancy fukcin flate nut wrench or crowsfoot to get it off then put it on there. awhole lota work for one little leak. part might be anywhere around fifty to twenty bucks. might have to bring it in to a local mechanic which sucks unless anyone has any helpful suggestions where i could do it myself? i dont like overcharging mechanics