Intake for my 84 W150

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bruin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
I'm a newbie with this truck, always liked the looks so I picked one up. It looks like its already set up for some kind of cold air intake as there's supposed to be a duct from the intake housing to a vent in the front. Can I just remove the entire stock housing and replace with an aftermarket one like the picture I attached?

Theres a bunch of stuff like the "electronic fuel system control" box, duct going to the headers, just curious if I can remove all this.

I tried doing a search but didnt see anything similar but if anyone has done this before can you please give me some details. Thanks!

Attachments

• image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 116
  • image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 99
  • image7.jpg
    image7.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 865-728_2.jpg
    865-728_2.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 264

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
You have the lean burn system and that control box needs to stay since it controls your spark. I don't have any experience with it but if you search "lean burn" there are some threads that can tell you how to convert it to a better more updated ignition control system. If you have any more questions post them up and I'm sure someone will be along to help you out. Welcome to RF.

OP
OP
B

bruin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
You have the lean burn system and that control box needs to stay since it controls your spark. I don't have any experience with it but if you search "lean burn" there are some threads that can tell you how to convert it to a better more updated ignition control system. If you have any more questions post them up and I'm sure someone will be along to help you out. Welcome to RF.

Could I attach one of these to the stock air filter opening or is it best to leave it open or connect a duct to the vent at the front of the truck?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 209

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I'm really not sure how much there is to gain from putting a CAI on a 318. I would at least put on a duct since the way it is now it would be sucking warmer air into the intake.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
a CAI would do absolutely nothing on any vehicle out there. all they are is overpriced air filter that change the air intake sound.

as John said you have the lean burn ignition system. i think in order to really start modding you really want to change the ignitiontion system whether you got with an aftermarket setup like msd or a stock 4pin ignition system setup. both options would usually require about the same work but something like msd is about $500 and the stock setup is about $150-$200 depending on where you buy everything.

OP
OP
B

bruin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
a CAI would do absolutely nothing on any vehicle out there. all they are is overpriced air filter that change the air intake sound.

as John said you have the lean burn ignition system. i think in order to really start modding you really want to change the ignitiontion system whether you got with an aftermarket setup like msd or a stock 4pin ignition system setup. both options would usually require about the same work but something like msd is about $500 and the stock setup is about $150-$200 depending on where you buy everything.

Well I'm not really going for huge hp gains, I'm really just trying to clean it up with new parts, figured a cai would look good in my engine bay, planning on just simple dress up parts mostly, going for new valve covers also since I need to replace the gaskets anyways.. I want the interior to look as good as my exterior haha.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 63

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if you want a clean look you are best to just get a open elements air cleaner and possibly de-smog the engine if you can would make it look pretty good. if you plan on doing any mudding tho you might want an air cleaner like the stock one since it would keep most of the water out where the open elements ones don't
20130905_184247.jpg

OP
OP
B

bruin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
if you want a clean look you are best to just get a open elements air cleaner and possibly de-smog the engine if you can would make it look pretty good. if you plan on doing any mudding tho you might want an air cleaner like the stock one since it would keep most of the water out where the open elements ones don't
20130905_184247.jpg

Not doing any mudding, i like that look but I'd rather keep it as close to smog ready as possible as im in California and dont want it to be a pain come smog time.. Just want it as is but as clean as I can make it without shelling out a ton of $$$.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
that might explain why your truck is so clean looking. it is from California. since you live in California i have no clue what you are allowed doing as far as the ignition or emissions go. i am not sure if you are allowed to change the ignition system type. i just know i have read some people have a real hard time with emissions over there sometimes

OP
OP
B

bruin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
yea our smog laws have to be the strictest in the country.. all i know is I bought it a month ago and it passed smog so i wont have to worry about it for 2 years... plus if im going to spend any real money on it i need to take care of what seems like leaks everywhere.. valve covers, oil pan, pretty much anywhere underneath the motor that could leak looks wet.. im getting maybe a few drops a day on my driveway so it doesnt seem that bad but from looking underneath it today it looked scary..

Heres some other pics...

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 79
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 97

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
usually the main leaks are valve covers, rear main seal and power steering box input shaft. as far as the valve covers go i would recommend just painting the old ones especially with where you live. the aftermarket valve covers might draw a bit more attention to the engine than you would like when you have to do emission testing.

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
Personally, I would just move out of California and then be able to do whatever I want to it...

If I was there though, I would probably just leave it alone smog wise if it's passing. The hood will be closed 99% of the time anyways. I don't like to fix what isn't broken.