La cam or not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys I just registered here I'm looking for some info on my Dodge la 360 engine I read in an old motors manual that it's possible to put an early non la cam into my la engine I've had this truck for 2yrs now the motor is newly rebuilt it has a constant pooping back thru the carb that I can't get rid of every price of the motor is new except the block heads crank cam pistons etc.not rebuilt stuff brand new parts out of the box I have 30 years experience as a master mechanic yet I'm beaten by this pooping back I've tore the motor down thinking I did something wrong carefully assembled it by the Chrysler manual and still the pooping thru carb is there it idles a little rough as rpm increases pooping becomes worse to the point it won't rev any further I read the early cam will fit into the block but the engine will run badly how can I tell if I have an early or late cam? Any help would be very thank full bill. PS I've done every ck I know of comp timing removed every valve and lapped seats ck for vacuum leaks many times timing chain marks are in line adj dist air gap ported vacuum manifold vacuum replaced dist replaced ign control box plugs wires cap rotor rebuilt Edelbrock carb 2times then replaced it with a thermoquad then a qjet no difference now back to the brand new Edelbrock 600 performer I can do any type of ck or take anything apart that's needed that I haven't already done more than twice any ideas ?anyone know about the cam thing? Thanks for hearing me out I won't give up! Billv

OP
OP
B

Bill1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
La cam or not

Hey it's bill1982 I can only answer back before and after work and on weekends I've got this site on alert on my phone u won't blow anyone off but I've got to bring momma home the bread or she won't let me play thanks for understanding. Bill1982]

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
the built the la engines for about 25 years so i doubt you are getting parts from an older engine to put into yours.

did you install the distributor right? generally if you put the distributor in 180* off it will cause the engine to pop out the carb.

OP
OP
B

Bill1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've installed the dist in every position one tooth at a time even changed the dist back to the old one no change

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bill1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've installed the dist in every position one tooth at a time even changed the dist back to the old one no change

Is there a difference between 2bbl intakes and 4bbl intakes?I noticed the 4bbl intake doesn't really match the heads in the center exhaust crossover port the port is sealed but the space above it isn't there's nothing that I can see the space is for it's shaped like a half circle

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you don't need to pull the gear out to rotate the distributor 180*. the cam turns 2 rotations for every 1 rotation of the crank. if you have the distributor in 180* off it might possibly run but have the issue you are describing.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Is there a difference between 2bbl intakes and 4bbl intakes?I noticed the 4bbl intake doesn't really match the heads in the center exhaust crossover port the port is sealed but the space above it isn't there's nothing that I can see the space is for it's shaped like a half circle

that is pretty normal as far as i know. my 81 is the same.

OP
OP
B

Bill1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's one question down I've seen the space in other 360s also

OP
OP
B

Bill1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have tried turning the dist 180* it wouldn't run just backfired and boomed out the exhaust I'm positive I've got it in time here's a question the the installed height on the valve springs is 1.437" the brand new heads are set at 1.750 which would make less tension on the seat could the valves be sucking open ?I've pulled one plug wire off at a time to find out which cyl is causing the pop it popped no matter what even with multiple plug wires off still popped

OP
OP
B

Bill1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've cked the rockerarms to be little loose when valve is supposed to be closed no issues there which means the new stock pushrods are also right length

OP
OP
B

Bill1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've cked the rockerarms to be little loose when valve is supposed to be closed no issues there which means the new stock pushrods are also right length

Well not to many replys on those how about this one I have a new Edelbrock 600performer carb on my 360 what main and secondary jets should I be running?it's a stone stock motor with the stock single exhaust pipe.im thinking I'll try going richer to combat the spitting back thru carb issue the motor is as sealed as I can make it with all the exhaust rockers off and covers back on and plugged u put a plate in place of the carb and I can pull 12" of vacuum and hold it for 15 min + it held 5" thru the night so no vacuum leaks all electrics have been replaced with no effect on the popping back it's not mechanical,not electrical,not a leak,what's left?air fuel ratio?can't really drive it like it is to put color on the plugs,so I'm going to go bigger and bigger on the jets until​ it's black smoking any comments on that or jetting ?thanks guys I know I say a lot I've been on this problem for 2years there's got to be a reason for it I intend to find it or die of old age which ever comes first thanks

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a formula for finding the proper jet size. Something with bore size and CFM and expected hp rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bill1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a formula for finding the proper jet size. Something with bore size and CFM and expected hp rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I just found one at Edelbrock web site I have a set of jet drill bits to work with and another set of the same jets in case I'm wrong it's worth a try right? If nothing else it will eliminate being to lean

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334