Late Model Hemi in 84 D150

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There is an '04 dodge with a 5.7 hemi in it for sale. Runs real good.It's a good price and it's close to home so I'm really considering picking it up. The reason I want it is for the hemi, the wiring and the computer and possibly the transmission. I want to put them in my 84 d150. I've been wanting to swap to fuel injected for some time now but don't want to go the EFI route, I want a new engine with new technology in it. My concerns are...
While I know I will have to fabricate new engine mounts, I'm not sure about the engine/transmission combination. If I swap the new engine in, do I keep my stock 3 spd transmission? If I put the new transmission in it, that would mean A LOT more fabricating and modding. I have read online that the stock transmissions that came with small block LA engines are compatible with late model hemi engines. Can anyone confirm this?
Also, I understand I will need the complete wiring harness from the new truck to make it a lot easier. But beyond the wiring, computer and sensors, am I looking over anything major that I may run into? I am dead set on fuel injected over carbureted and I would really love the efficiency and responsiveness and drivability of a new hemi.

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I'm not sure about the 3spd but if u have to use the factory trans with the hemi I'm sure there will b a lot of fabrication but I say go for it. I want to put a hemi in my 2nd gen one day.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
been looking into this myself. Just no good donor vehicle. I'm looking more at my 72 dodge d100 though.

If you have a complete donor vehicle that still works, I think you could easily use the more modern trans. You're going to have to use the ECM on the 5.7 so why not try to use the TCM too? I guess depends on how comfortable you are with electrical work. I don't know if the 04 had a CANBUS to deal with or how invasive it was. If measurements aren't too far off, a little fab of the trans mounts and cross members, might work. shortening (assumed not lengthening) would likely be cheap and easy. Of course is the D150 is your main transportation then time may be an issue.

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Tagged - hoping you do a build thread if you pull the trigger on this. :waytogo:

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know I'll be trying something like this in the future. I'm still in the middle of a master bath/closet complete remodel. I just built and still putting the finishing work on my work shop add on from this summer too. so I'm a little behind on the funds but I have 3 dodge d100's just sitting in my field right now begging to be saved. I'm hoping to have time just to tear down my stepside this late summer or fall. Tearing down is mostly free....

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hello.... OP here.

I found a 2004 Dodge durango with a 5.7 hemi. The body is in horrid shape but it starts, sounds good, no ticking or thumping, and the gears feel fine too. No slipping or weird vibrations. As far as I know, the engine and trans in a 2004 durango are probably the same as a 2004 ram pickup. Am I right? If I purchase this durango, I will officially be pulling the trigger on this engine swap. In which case I will start a build thread.

Edit: I can get this durango for $700, do the swap, then sell the durango for parts and also sell my old 318 and trans to make a good chunk of the money back.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Question for you guys. A 5.7 hemi with 300,000kms on it, is it worth buying? Keeping in mind that it sounds completely fine, doesn't have any obvious signs of near death. It's from an '04 durango

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
considering how many miles is on the durango i would be hesitant especially if it is beat to crap on the outside. i would be wondering how well everything else is maintained. you may also want to do your research on the hemi's. new engines seem like they need to be maintained real well and even then you still get engines that end up failing.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a guy on na dodge that just recently did a hemI swap into a 87? D150 I believe. He's actually got a few threads of some cool swaps. Truecowboy426 is his username I believe