Mid 90s magnum in 89 help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodgefreek89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey so it been a while since I been on here but lot has changed. So the trucks been taken apart and swapping the tbi 318 for a mid 90s 360 magnum and the auto for a 4 speed. I got the motor couple years back for the heads. As u guys know **** happens and plans change. Haha. The motor was carbureted and had all the la style v belts. Couple things I was wondering were

1. Will a stock 4 speed trans hold up to the newer 360?
2. Anyway I could run the magnum setup and keep the mechanical fuel pump or would I have to put pressure regulator on the current fuel pump?
3. How do I n ow what flywheel/ clutch assembly will work with different parts or is it just a trial n error deal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 102

Dan70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
the 4 spd will work fine as long as the go fast parts arent too crazy. it might even be worth it to try and find a 5 spd behind a 360 just to know for a fact everything will work together (minimize issues down the road). that would take care of 2 of the issues.

as far as the fuel pump goes as long as its not pushing gas through the carb you shouldnt need a regulator. i assume that was running with a carb when it was pulled? if so nothing fuel wise would need to change.

OP
OP
D

Dodgefreek89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay yeah definitely wanna get a nv4500 later but I couldnt pass up the deal on that 4 speed (400$ for everything needed to convert it minus the cluth itself) but the truck was throttle body injected before that why I was wondering bout the regulator with the electronic fuel pump

Dan70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
i'm no expert but that looks like a gm transmission. any idea exactly what it is? you should be able to just look for a clutch with the specs from the trans. just make sure its from a v8. i know dodge used 2 different input shafts on their's. one fine splined and one coarse splined. I'm 98% sure the cranks are they same for both the magnum and la blocks, so the flywheel shouldn't be a problem to find.

i wouldnt want a carb for a street application to have more that 3-4 psi of fuel pressure. so a regulator would be a good idea considering tbi takes more than 10 psi

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963