Need help with 83 D150 Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ericlee9386

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello everyone, I have a major issue. I was given a 83 d150 with a 318 engine that had just been replaced. The previous owner could not get the truck to start or even power when the switch is turned. I have since redone the wiring of the ignition system. Now here is where the issue is? The battery ground was grounded to the carburetor. When the battery was connected it started smoking and the same when it was grounded to the frame, and now at the engine block above the motor mount. So my question is where in the world do the battery need to be grounded at? Is their a better location that is better than above the motor mount?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
usually it is bolted to the front of the drivers side head between the throttle spring bracket and the head. make sure you got a good bare clean connection. also do you have a ground wire the runs between the battery and rad support?
this shows mine
IMG_2951.jpg

OP
OP
E

ericlee9386

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks I found a wire hooked up wrong and cut it now it is at least trying to start. Now to just get it to crank. Thanks