Need help, 84 318 Failed Emissions due to timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bruin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
So this has got to be the most frustrating smog situation ive ever dealt with. I originally fail because timing off (26 when it supposed to be 16) and NO PPM was off. I get timing fixed, i see on the gun its at 16, so I go to a different smog shop and the timing is still coming up as off but all the ASM testing is good, obviously timing was corrected as the NO went down within range but this smog shop is telling me timing is now at 27. The new smog shop has a free retest but if they are saying timing is off today when its not, its probably going to be "off" to them tomorrow when i take it back in.

Im bringing my truck back to the shop tomorrow to re test timing but i know the timing is correct as i saw it. Assuming timing is correct when they check tomorrow what do you suggest I do about the smog shop situation? I've already paid $60 to 2 different smog shops....

d250

Reaction score
Ram Year
1991/1995
Engine
5.2 318 v8/5.9l 12v Cummins
Wow that sucks in my state anything 25 years or older doesn't have to pass emmisions my 318 d250 is fuel injected too that's wired that a 1984 still has to pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bruin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
Wow that sucks in my state anything 25 years or older doesn't have to pass emmisions my 318 d250 is fuel injected too that's wired that a 1984 still has to pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stupid California rules... frustrating thats its failing just because of timing when i specifically took it to my auto shop to get it adjusted this morning only to have a new smog shop say its off... My auto shop is probably the best shop in town and one of the most trusted so i highly doubt they are wrong when it comes to the timing...

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
can you possibly borrow the timing light from your mechanic and adjust it at the smog place as needed? if it keeps coming up wrong i would wonder if the issue is with the vacuum advance and how it is set?

OP
OP
B

bruin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
can you possibly borrow the timing light from your mechanic and adjust it at the smog place as needed? if it keeps coming up wrong i would wonder if the issue is with the vacuum advance and how it is set?

All good now, smog place was wrong, didnt know how to check the timing on my truck correctly, took a video of my auto shop checking the timing and showed him, apparently he was going off the wrong line when checking it.. Everything passed today.. Thank god!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Good to hear. It is not too surprisin tho. I think most shop rarely ever touch something that they have to adjust the timing on