oil pressure issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ray hall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
225 slant six
Hi I have a 1985 dodge w150 that has a 360. It had oil pressure because it shot oil out of the sending unit hole by the distributor. It had a big dent in the oil pan where the pick up tube is so I was afraid it might cause a problem. So I took the pan off and beat the dent out and I thought I would put a new oil pump in it while I was right there. I stuck it in oil and turned it over and primed it up before I put it on. Now I have no oil pressure. It fills up the oil filter and if u take it off it shoots out of the hole but it won't pump into the motor. The rockers ratlle really bad and I have clear oil line on the port by the distributor hooked up to the gauge and I can't even get oil into the line. I have tried a new filter and put a second pump on. I don't know what the problem is I was hoping I can get some ideas. Any help will b greatly appreciated . Thanks

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
did you also replace the pickup? are you sure you had enough oil in it?if you have oil come out the sending unit hole it shouldn't be long before it comes out of the rocker arms.

OP
OP
ray hall

ray hall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
225 slant six
I don't have oil out of the sending unit hole that was with the old pump. I have the crankcase full of oil. I don't replace the pick up tube. But it will fill up the oil filter and if u pull the filter off of it it will shot out of the filter hole but I can't get any oil to the sending unit hole or the rockers because u can hear them ratlle. I had oil pressure before I put the new pump on and now with the new pump I can't get any. I've tried different filters. I primed the pump before I put it on as well

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
did you prime the oil filter? if you don't prime the oil filter the new pump will also have to prime that which will take things even longer.

OP
OP
ray hall

ray hall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
225 slant six
I didn't but its full now and I've ran it for bout 10-15 seconds a couple different times and it won't pump up. I blew air thru the sending unit port and got air out of the filter holes but no oil came out so its not even getting into the engine. But it will fill the filter with no problem

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Different filters….different oil pumps….same problem…..same pickup tube……

Sounds crazy, but I would need to change the pickup tube at this point.

Did the pickup tube get hit from the oil pan? Could have a pin hole sucking air if you straightened it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ray hall

ray hall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
225 slant six
It didn't look like it got hit. Wat is weird is it had pressure with the old pump so in theory it should have pressure with this one u wukd think. I got it set about 3/4-1 inch off the bottom of the pan

OP
OP
ray hall

ray hall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
225 slant six
Well I got oil pressure now it shows 50 cold at an idle then about 30 warmed up idling but my rockers are still rattling really bad. It oils through the head then tmruns across the rocker rail. I would imagine that it should over flow the rocker with oil but its not its getting oil on it but a whole lot. Does this mean I might have spun a can bearing? Because a buddy of mine is thinking that but I'm not sure. Is there anything I can do here?